Battle Forgotten: FineMolds Y-Wing Build

Clonegurl

Hello sorry it's been so long since I first posted the Endor Project but it's taken a while to get a good idea for my next diorama but I had it and here it is:

It's a FineMolds Y-Wing Build. I'm going to turn my beautiful kit into wreckage. It will be situated on a lonely and deserted beach. The idea for the dio was inspired by this build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234925081

I really want to try making the sea using the technique employed in the above build. I started my dio yesterday. Photos are in my photobucket account in an album titled Forgotten Battle. There are sub-albums to this main album which show my daily WIP shots. It will make it easier to navigate the album as the build progresses. Here is the album, please click on the drop arrow to access the daily WIP shots :)

http://s1154.beta.photobucket.com/user/Clonegurl/library/Battle%20Forgotten%20-%20FineMolds%20Y-Wing%20Build

In regards to yesterday and today's WIP shots, this is what I did to the piece: first I trimmed, sanded and glued the piece then I took a soldering iron to it to cause maximum damage lol. Then I painted the entire piece with a mix of Flat Black paint and Tamiya Acrylic Paint X-20A Thinner, 50-50. I then used Humbrol Acrylic paint No 40 (grey colour), over that I used more of the diluted flat black mix to weather the grey and then I painted the rust using Reeves acrylic paint, Burnt Sienna. The last thing I did was highlight the dashboard control of the cock pit with the diluted flat black. This morning I used matte acrylic silver paint to return some silver/grey back to the piece and also to pick out details in the dashboard and pilot cock pit area.

I want the wreckage to tell its own story ie how it came down. So I heavily incinerated the fighter pilot area to give a clear indication this where the ship took the hit that felled it from the sky. The fuselage will not be so heavily weathered in this fashion. The fuselage is also one the more beautifully detailed pieces of the kit and I want to be able to see most of the detail still even after weathering. The fuselage will be the place where all the fun with the greeblies will happen ;)

I'm thinking about using Plaster of Paris as a base for the beach before applying a layer of putty (muillput) to sink the ship into before dusting over with sand to create the beach. Any thoughts about this technique? Any suggestions regarding materials and techniques I can use for the beach? As some of you may know I am only a beginner and would welcome any feedback and suggestions about how to progress.

What I dislike about my piece: the visual brush strokes behind the seat area. What I like is rust effects and the twisted, wreckage look the soldering iron gave me.

Nice water work there. Very different indeed. It's like their searching for the Red October.

Thank you guys :) I'm actually thinking about abandoning this build and going for a different theme with the Y-Wing in part because I don't really think I can continue to destroy such wonderful kit. I will ponder things a little more and get back soon.

That dio with the A.T.A.T.s is great!!!
I love it, from concept to completion! Great work!!!
It will be interesting to see what exactly you decide to do with the Y-Wing!
;D ;D ;D

Thank you :) it's so nice to get feedback particularly when it's positive lol! What I would like to do now with the Y-Wing is create a dio themed around the idea of repair and salvage. Thus, although I trashed good the lower part of the cockpit I can still use this piece in the dio as it fits with the new theme.

What I want to build is this: a hanger with the Y-Wing, while being badly hit in the front, remaining largely salvageable so it has been recovered and is now undergoing repaires by the Rebellion Fleet. Whether I have the build skills to build this to the standard that I envisage is a bit doubtful. I'm starting from a low base in regards to skill level and know how. This is actually my first time building a model that isn't prepainted and snap fit. But I want to try anyway and see what I can build.

Thank you to everyone who has stopped in to read the thread.

That Y-Wing dio sounds very interesting and can be a challenge. I guess the trick would be to try and NOT make it that complex, so you feel more comfortable...Maybe instead of having it in a hangar, it could be in the jungle of Yavin, or some similar background. More foliage than a " tech" back-drop.
Just a suggestion. ;)

Sounds very cool.

Keep posting images. I have a picture in my mind of your dio. Hope to see it soon! I like the idea.

Thanks everyone for your comments it's much appreciated :)

I don't know if I bring myself to make any more trees after Endor lol although a wrecked space craft tangled up in a jungle diorama would be an awesome build. I am still going to try for the hanger, it's so challenging that it makes me want to have a go. Here are today's WIP shots:

http://s1154.beta.photobucket.com/user/Clonegurl/library/Battle%20Forgotten%20-%20FineMolds%20Y-Wing%20Build/WIP%20Shots%2013-12-12

What i have been doing is putting together the fuselage abd adding greeblies as i go. Being good quality kit the plastic is incredibly difficult to cut through so I heated up the blade of my hobby knife over a candle and was then able to slice with precision and control. I needed to remove a small corner so I could feed some wires through the lower fuselage.

I haven't finished with the fuselage still quite a fair bit of work to do :)

Sorry I haven't posted for quite some time. I've gotten side tracked by a small craft project (felt creature called Tim) and by meeting a local artist which got me back into painting. Both of my latest projects are up in photobucket (in albums titled Craft Work & Canvas Painting) but no new WIP shots for this project. I'm going to restart it shortly. Hope everyone had or is having (depending on time zones) a very merry Christmas! :)

Build is looking great so far... personally I think you should stick with the beach dio... a good substitute for scale sand is something called Moonsand... its a very fine grade sand as regular beach sand is to big and looks out of scale. I've personally used it as a good base for my dioramas and it looks great. I haven't tried the water technique yet but have some ideas brewing for using it hehehe... keep up the great work... I'll be watching the progress!

That FM Y-wing is a sharp looking model, but with lots of fiddly bits.
Yours is looking sharp

I love crashed Star Wars dioramas (of course, this comes from someone who loves Star Wars). The y-wing is a great subject, and water crash would be really neat to see. I'm really liking the work I'm seeing so far...nicely done.

My 2 cents: if you like the water idea, but don't want to obscure the detail...consider using Realistic Water and do a lake scene (Yavin IV did have a lot of lakes). The Realistic Water is great and won't hide the awesome build you have going on (I used on an Abandoned TIE Facility). And you could even scratchbuild a recovery vehicle (or just a crane/winch thing) trying to pull the Y-wing out of the water (or maybe just one of the engine nacelles).

Either way ya go, awesome build. Feel free to throw any questions my way if you need help with scratch-building and such. Although, it's looking pretty darn good.

Cheers!

This is Gonna be cool looking forward to your dio! ;D

From photobucket if you place your cursor on the pic,
a drop down menu will appear. Then double click on the choice
that says "IMG Code". After you double click it will say "Coppied" then you
you can come back to your post here, right click "Paste" and the picture
will appear when you submit the post to the thread. Until you post you
will just see a link but that link will show as an image once you hit the
"Post" button to submit. :)

Latest posts

Back