Bare Metal Foil Alternative Question

hooterville75

I sit here mind racking about an alternative to bare metal foil and came up with this question. During the Christmas and New Year holidays, they always have for sale the really shiny, gold, silver all kinds of colors material that you can buy to put on your front door. Very shiny, semi durable, etc. I wonder if you could use this as a alternative with a bit of some sort of glue as the adhesive on the back of the material ? Probably not but figured its worth a shot in asking ha . ;D A roll of this material would probably last a lifetime.

You can use silver and gold leaf from craft stores and they sell an adhesive just for that which may work.

I still think paint is the easiest way, whether you use Alclad, Model Master Metalizers, or Gunze Super Metallic.

There are other alternatives, just not good ones.

Other than Alclad, there isn't a paint out there that replicates chrome, and if you are talking chrome molding, just imagine masking off all of that molding to spray down a gloss black and then the Alclad Chrome.

Aluminum duct foil....yeah that will work, but it is much thicker than BMF, and doesn't conform to a compound surface as well.

Really, a sheet of BMF should last you at least 4-6 cars (if not more) depending on how much chrome is needed on them.

I've found Bare Metal Foil for $5.18 a sheet of Chrome, Gold etc. I'm not opposed to paying that for BMF, I was just looking long term bang for the buck in alternatives that may exist. Was just curious.

Scott Girvan said:
How about aluminum duct foil?
It's fantastic for heat resistant material. For example the one that is used in sports cars. You can see on some photos of the inside of the cabin or by the exhaust. I either use this or the silver paper from cigarette pack.

Most of the gift packing wraps are aluminium colored inside, or you can use holographic sheets as a cool alternative, they have it's own tape backwards mostly.

Latest posts

Back