Bandai's new Macross Delta mecha collection kits

stevethefish

My name's actually not Steve
26477124396_3eb16f9737.jpg

I bought the Macross Delta VF-31J mecha collection mini plastic model this past weekend.

I was led to believe by a Bandai rep that these kits would contain waterslide decals, just as their recent Ultraman mecha collection kits have. I was disappointed to find that they only have stickers. Ugh. Maybe he thought I was talking only about the Star Wars ones? Now I am not sure if even those will have decals. I'm starting to worry now. Crap.

You can see pics of the runners on my Tumblr page. I did an unboxing video on my YouTube channel.

Scan the stickers
Buy wateeslide decal paper off ebay- buy LASER paper only
Have local copy shop print the scan onto the decal paper and uoure good to go.

Well, I built the kit yesterday afternoon. I only painted the thrusters and left everything else as-is. I did a panel line wash with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color, applied the stickers, and it actually looks rather nice despite it being stickers. I'll have pics and a video uploaded to share soon.

I love the build but not the stickers- they throw off the sense of scale for me.

Also, I think the cockpit canopy could be enhanced with a glosscoat. It'd have a more glassy look if it were glossy.

Still, it's pretty sweet as-is! I love the design and would love to see it built with SBY:2199 decals/markings.
Or maybe built as a Firefox reboot (with MIG markings)!

I've been slowly working on the other kit that came out on on the same day: the VF-171A Nightmare. Unlike the VF-31J, this one has panel lines that make masking the detailing easier. So, this one should be better looking without using so many of the decals. Plus I am painting the canopy.

Latest posts

Back