AWB Dodge 330

noname

I don't know how many of you folks are into vintage drag cars but I've been here for a little while now and thought I should share one of the builds I am currently working on.

For those who may not know what an altered wheelbase (AWB) is, it's a car with the wheelbase modified. Usually the rear wheels were moved forward and often the front wheels were moved forward as well. By doing this, more weight was transferred to the rear of the car allowing the rear tires to gain more traction upon take off. The tire technology of the 60's just wasn't what it is today. Doing this did in fact work. The thing is by making this modification the cars looked, well, a little funny. These cars were referred to as "Funny Cars". Yes, these were the predecessor to the funny cars we know with the flip top bodies.

I first started by doing the necessary body slicing. I moved the front and rear wheel openings forward, then filled the gaps with strips of sheet styrene.
IMG_6026.jpg

Here you can see the chassis glued back together after a length was taken out. The front suspension will also have to moved forward just a little. You'll also notice that the gas tank was cut out. They often used smaller "moon" tanks toward the front of the car to save weight and get the fuel closer to the carb or fuel injection.
IMG_6031.jpg

And because everything was moved forward, I also had to make room for the newly constructed rear wheel wells.
Picture045.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks. I just realized thats the wrong chassis. I started the 66 GTO AWB at the same time. Here is the Dodge's chassis.
Picture046.jpg

I have still actually been working on this thing. Used styrene to make the ribs along the inside of the bare roof as well as the window posts. Alot of these early 60's Mopar AWB cars maintained the inner door skins but removed the rest of the upholstery.

Picture095.jpg

Also got that big fat Hemi pretty much done.

Picture222.jpg

Great work on that engine! Nice!

i suppose they removed the upholstery for incase of fire? or perhaps making the car lighter?

Thanks Ferris. Ya they often gutted the whole interior to make it lighter. Some may have left it in for a finnished or factory look. In this case part was left and part was taken out.

Here is a photo I found on the internet typical of this style car. If it were raced in "Stock" class, the interior would have to have been left in place. In other classes the whole interior would have been gutted and maybe aluminum panels put in place and a light racing bucket for the driver.

62dodgedart-teal-02.jpg

I enjoy building drag cars for a specific year and class. I usually stick to the 50's and 60's because the cars had sooooo much character and this was before technology got crazy. Now alot of racers push a button when the light turns green and the car does the rest!

Latest posts

Back