AT-TE Republic Cargo walker (custom)

Well, it's been awhile. Grad school just started back, so my time has been somewhat limited. But I thought I'd share what I've completed in the past whatever weeks. Mostly, she's done, except for some minor detail that I want to do. Then, I'll move on to the Clones and other diorama pieces.

I've added railing all over this beast, and I've still managed to keep the major parts removable for ease of painting. I still haven't mastered the art of measuring/bending wire...but I have found that a Grabhandler really helps.
wip_cargowalker_39_zps084a6b11.jpg~original

More railing, and you can see some scratched headlights underneath. They are covered with masking tape right now. If I had been smart...I would have thought of lighting this kit.
wip_cargowalker_40_zpsc3a72c71.jpg~original

Here's a pic of my current idea on the diorama. I'm going to place a huge towering rock in the back, and have the front slope down with more rocks and a few sneaky Battle Driods lying in wait. I still have a lot of cargo boxes to add. And I'll probably add a chain to the crane in back.
wip_cargowalker_41_zpscb38ba0f.jpg~original

Finally, I picked up an Alumilite casting kit this weekend for cheap (and a coupon helped). My first foray into resin casting was several years ago and didn't go so well. The silicone catalyst had deteriorated in an orange juice/snot conglomerate. Luckily, this set was fine, and I've already cast a few Clone helmets that I can fit on the Micro Machines Stormies. Granted, the armor won't be a perfect match to a Clone...but it will be close, and the corrected helmets will help.
wip_cargowalker_42_zps19675fa5.jpg~original

Wow, very impressive! I've never seen a super detailed AT-TE kit before, pretty fugg'n cool! :D

Thanks guys.

I've been casting a bunch of Clone helmets for my MM Stormtroopers. I think they look a tad big, but maybe it's just me. What do you guys think?

wip_cargowalker_43_zps5ebf1827.jpg~original

The walker is done...unless I find a need to add something else. So now, it's a game of "do I start the diorama yet or not?"

The figures look to be right, the heads aren't too big. The slight crest at the top of the clone trooper helmet does make them look a little taller then Stormies.

I think You did a remarkable job with those figs - awesome sculpting,and at this scale the detalisation is really crazy.
Love this build all around!

So, I went off to New York for the weekend and I came back with sinus infection. Luckily, I had time to prime the beast before taking off. So here's a small update. Sorry for the bad photo quality. I didn't take the time to setup everything.

As usual, everything disassembled, covered in Windex, then rinsed off in warm water. I've found Windex takes off any oils from the model without the need to rub or brush the model.
wip_cargowalker_44_zps39405aa8.jpg~original

I bought a can of Tamiya White primer for these guys. It went on fairly well. I probably could add another coat, but once I add some dust to them, the bright white will be a distant memory.
wip_cargowalker_45_zps11f7d0c5.jpg~original

Finally, I coated these in the usual Grey primer. I noticed a few spots that I need to fill in or add some styrene to. And I picked it up too soon in one area, which I'll have to re-coat. Hopefully, if I feel like it, I can finish up this phase this weekend. So, theoretically, paint will hit it soon.
wip_cargowalker_46_zpsa5f8c9a3.jpg~original

In other news, I ordered and just received 14 Lifecolor paints from a guy in China. I haven't tried the paints yet, but I'm very excited to. The old Polly Scale paints I've been holding on to forever have pretty much dried up, and I need to some good airbrush paints that I can hairspray chip. Plus, Lifecolor has such an extensive line of paints. I only wish they were easier to get in the US.

So here's how the paint is looking so far. I bought several jars of LifeColor to replace my old/dried Pollyscale paint. So far, I'm loving the LC paint, just wish it was easier to get in the US.

For starters, I tried Anthrazitgrau as pre-shading and as the base color I will chip down to after I add a little chipping fluid. I lightened some areas with Haze Grey, and then added a single coat of AK Worn Effects. I was going for "mild chipping".
wip_cargowalker_47_zpsd32abd9c.jpg~original

I then sprayed several grey colors, high-lighting certain areas as I went. I was heavily inspired by John Simmons' M26 Recovery Vehicle and how he created so many shades of a single color. I've also never really seen color modulation on a Star Wars vehicle, so I thought it would be an interesting experiment. Although, the modulation is minor and will be toned down during the weathering stages.
wip_cargowalker_48_zpsb4537041.jpg~original

Here's a close-up post-chipping. I did go back with the Anthrazitgrau and a paintbrush in certain areas. Luckily, I didn't chip all the way to the bare brass, so no worries about fixing that.
wip_cargowalker_49_zpsd1c825c3.jpg~original

The next step is to decide on colors for whatever shapes/stripes I airbrush on the sides. Most Republic vehicles used a brick red, but I'm leaning more toward a green color. Then I'll move to hand-painting the details.

Just catching up on this build, some awesome work you're doing here

Love the attention to detail, will be watching

Latest posts

Back