AT-TE Republic Cargo walker (custom)

So, I've been working slowly on covering up all of the gaps and building up the detail in the front.

Using the awesome Grabhandler, I made some grab-handles situated behind the seats.
wip_cargowalker_25_zps165f79d0.jpg~original

Installed. You can also see the other detail: mesh air intakes, brass pipes, and a comm. station.
wip_cargowalker_26_zps8d818fec.jpg~original

It's a slow process, but she's coming together slowly. I also picked up about a dozen Micro Machines Stormtroopers that I'll be transforming into Clones eventually.
wip_cargowalker_27_zpseaec5e50.jpg~original

This is a great build , the extra work you're putting into it's really paying off . I've not had chance to see this kit out of the box ( yet ) , how does it scale up next to the Republic Dropship ? I've harboured the idea of combining the two models as the "lander " variant for a while . "Do-able" , you think ?

Thanks for the comments.

I'm guessing you mean the Republic Gunship model, listed by Revell as being 1/74 scale. If that's accurate, then it should be pretty close to AT-TE. Revell listed the walker as 1/98, but after measuring and estimating, it's closer to 1/80. So, you could convert the Gunship into the Dropship, and they should go nicely together.

Hey man, could you copy those pics over to SMA? I can't see them on the website without creating an account...and unfortunately I don't speak French. I'd love to see the conversions.

Just register on the forum, it can't be that difficult (I think). The topics and the pictures (hundred of them) are not mine so I can't post them here...
There's a lot of pictures, not only french discussions (even though I think that may be translated with google trad or such, is it ? With firefox or Google chrome ?).

Unfortunatly that's the only source I can think of for this thread. :( Sorry.

PS : I've seen some Altaya or "Press files" with metal miniatures in a shop today. There was a minuscule AT-TE, too big for the Republic Gunship "pocket" from Revell but, man, was it tempting to take the E-wing, the AT-TE or even the death star...

Ok, that was definitely worth registering for. Those were some very awesome customs. I hadn't heard of Altaya minis; is that just another name for the De Agostini metal minis? I didn't know they had an E-wing.

Well, here's what's been up with the project as of late. I've been maniacally cutting styrene sheets and strips into armor shapes. Most of the front is done. I'm slowly building up the back. The cargo platform sits firmly in place, but I haven't glued it yet.

I also have an Imperial Officer (micro machines) that I cut the base off of to see how they look.
wip_cargowalker_28_zps532191bf.jpg~original

Here's a rear shot. I'm thinking I may sand the rivets down and leave it smooth, as the bumps are a little big for 1/80 scale. I could try scribing small recessed lines along the surface if I smooth out the rivets

What do you guys think? Rivets or no rivets?

wip_cargowalker_29_zpsc96d9851.jpg~original

As always, thanks for the feedback.

I'd say stick with the rivets , the options for weathering/wear and tear are too good to resist ! ;)

Well, it's been awhile since I updated, been too busy working on this thing and drooling over all the new Star Wars builds. But here's what I've gotten finished lately.

I added the flaps to the main platform in the back. They aren't workable, but they give that illusion.
wip_cargowalker_30_zps600453a3.jpg~original

I also finished up the angled armor pieces. You can also see the 2 support beams I added to hold up the platform. Currently, the platform is removable, and I'll probably keep it that way until after painting.
wip_cargowalker_31_zpsfd7d884d.jpg~original

Here's an underside view. I had a little too much fun with The Chopper, making all these little details you won't really see that much.
wip_cargowalker_34_zps1c453362.jpg~original

And again, more Chopper-ness gone crazy. I love how Republic/Imperial vehicles have all these sharp angles, and I'm trying to replicate that as much as possible.
wip_cargowalker_32_zpsa5cffc36.jpg~original

Finally, I covered up the lower front with parts from the RSO kit and scratch-built air intake (or whatever you want to call it).
wip_cargowalker_33_zpsf9b9f3e9.jpg~original

On the downside, I haven't had any injuries yet. Usually by now, I have a few small cuts. I'm wondering what this model has in store for me...aka how much blood will I have to sacrifice to complete this beast?

Hey guys. It's been awhile since I last updated; been a crazy few weeks. But I'm still working on this thing when I can.

So far, I added these side-rails that troops can walk across. Somehow I picture a scene like in Return of the Jedi where the AT-AT walks alongside the landing platform. While this guy isn't as massive, it would still be cool to have it walking beside a platform. I've also added stairs to the upper-platform, and I'm planning a lot of brass railing so the troops don't fall off (you can't see a thing in those helmets anyway).
wip_cargowalker_35_zps6dcf8f7a.jpg~original

I've also kit-bashed a make-shift crane/lifter. Armor fans will notice the leaf-springs I used as the lifter arms.
wip_cargowalker_36_zps2d1949d7.jpg~original

I've test-fitted it to the back of the walker. It is fully-poseable right now. I still need to create a control station for it. And I think the crane itself needs some more detail.
wip_cargowalker_37_zpsf318e02d.jpg~original

Lastly, I build an E-WEB (my own version) and a communication station that I'll add somewhere to the dio I'm planning. That E-WEB was one of the hardest things I've ever built. I used parts from a Tamiya WWII weapons pack, and a 1/72 fire extinguisher as the scope. I added little brass hinges as the handles. And the tube was taken from twist ties from Action Fleet toys.
wip_cargowalker_38_zpse50508bd.jpg~original

Speaking of dioramas, this will be first terrain diorama. I'm hoping to do a desert scene, ala Geonosis-style. I asked this elsewhere on the forums, but do any of your masters have any suggestions for the base of a desert diorama? As in, should I use air-dry clay over cork, foam board, paper mache? I think I can build up the actual terrain after I get a good base to work with...just need some ideas for the base.

Thanks again to everyone commenting. It's great to hear from you.

This build is shaping up to be very special ! As for a desert diorama , it depends on the type of terrain your trying to capture . At this scale , it's worth considering sandpaper as a starting point , especially if it's a flat surface you're reproducing . If you're careful about the "grade" , you can get a surprisingly good effect and by adding small rocks from rail modellers "scatter" , you can add a good sense of scale . A desert surface is difficult to "sculpt" as it can often look TOO sculpted and even wet or muddy .

Latest posts

Back