Appearance of Godzilla 1991 Resin Model

Proj2501

Hey SMA! Just joined today. Hope to learn a lot here.

Well, not to waste anyone's time, here's what I'm working. Also, it's the first time I'm working with resin. The piece is a little intimidating with my practically non-existant experience.

aog91.jpg

Questions:

1. I'm trying to pin each joint. I'm being as careful and thoughtful as I can, the pins are a little bit of a pain to properly align. Advice?

2. Some pieces were cast quite poor. Already begun sanding down pieces and have identified gaps (some rather large) that need to be filled. Is BONDO fine for this? I also have Tamiya Putty (not Epoxy), would this work? I basically need to sculpt a wrist and need to know which is better: BONDO, Tamiya Putty, or Tamiya Epoxy Putty.

Thanks to anyone who can lend a helping hand. I've worked with vinyl before but really want to get into the resin game.

That will be an impressive build, once completed.
Unfortunately I do not have any resin experience, or I would offer some suggestions.

Very cool kit. I love Godzilla. With resin kits, I use 5 minute epoxy to glue everything and brass rods for pins. All the putties you mentioned are good to use, for fabricating and sculpting details like joints, muscles, and surface detail, you cant go wrong with a good two part epoxy putty.

What company produces this kit? Is it a re-cast? What scale is it in?

Great project, I love Godszilla, too, though I've only built the old Aurora kit ;)

For resin, I second MrNatural, for this kit and the apparent weight of the pieces, I'd use brass rod for the pins. I use a 2-part epoxy to glue resin parts together, but it's a 15-minute cure for mine.

I drill the holes just a hair or two bigger than the pin, so there is some wiggle room to adjust. When the glue cures, with the pin in place, it'll be a strong enough join that will resist shear forces sufficiently.

Thanks you guys. I've already pinned most of the joints. I had the second portion of the tail 99% perfect. Went in again and worked on it to get that extra 1% and made the hole too big. So, since that part of the tail is very light, I'll just glue them together.

As for scale...um...(goes to check), it's 21cm. Not exactly what scale that would make it. I'm so dumb. :-\

It is a recast. Not sure how people here may feel about that fact. As I said, I've just worked with vinyl. Since this is my first resin kit, it needed to be priced accordingly in case I really screw up. However, given the nature of the casting (not perfect in some spots) I wish I found an original kit. I think it's pretty rare to track down though. For $70, it's a pretty decent piece.

Can clay be used to sculpt the wrist?

Looking good for starts. If you are talking about self hardening clay I would not advise it. I would suggest something like Aves Apoxie Sculpt, that is self hardening, works just like clay other than it is a 2 part epoxy putty. You can get it at most hobby shops or straight from their website.
Looking forward to the updates.
Steve

Proj2501 said:
It is a recast. Not sure how people here may feel about that fact...

I try to avoid recasts, because a recast means that the copyright holder is not getting paid, but I recognize that it's not always possible to know, and I know that we must each decide for ourselves.

Proj2501 said:
Can clay be used to sculpt the wrist?

You should be able to. There's another build around here of King Ghidorah, I think, that you might find interesting. The modeler used putty to restore the skin texture lost in cleaning up joins, and hiding seams. You should be able to do a more extensive job, too, like attaching the hand to the wrist, leaving a space all around, and filling the area with putty and sculpting it. I've been using Aves 2-part epoxy putty for things like this.

Hope that helps!
Brad

Another Godzilla build! Too bad I missed the start of this one. I built up both Godzilla and King Gidorah for the spring contest two years back.

For putty, most everyone gave you what I did. I used aves apoxie sculpt. Good stuff. Water soluble, so you can smooth it out. Working time is about two hours. So it doesn't set up very fast. And it can be textured to match the monsters skin.

For pins go to your local hardware store and look up braids and small nails. Very cheap and they come in a wide variety of sizes. They are steel so very strong and you won't have to cut anything out.

For alignment, I drilled out one side, inserted the braid. Aligned the parts and then since the braid has a point, I could use a bit of pressure to mark the second part. This gave me a pin spot to mark where to drill and since it is an indentation, the drill would not skip around on me while I was drilling.

A very nice kit! It will make quite the display piece!

Man. I've had a time with pinning. I def made a noob mistake somewhere. Long story short, I sorted it out and am now back on track.

Here's what I've done so far.

2e1994dc373e0ae36db6458d06c3895a_zps4fd2a7e1.jpg

The rudders on the sub are very poorly cast and I foresee myself spending a bit of time on then to get them looking decent. :/

Yes, your putty work on the arms looks pretty good, from what I can see from the angle. Looks like you were able to preserve the skin fold texture.

Proj2501 said:
The rudders on the sub are very poorly cast and I foresee myself spending a bit of time on then to get them looking decent. :/

Just build new ones out of sheet plastic.

Finished!
e2d860287cbcbfcc22ff48c719316296_zps46a5045d.jpg
54dd16ab97df9e53aebe440999bfe8d1_zpsd7b96187.jpg
3f81249b406da4032061467516aaa867_zps33e8edbb.jpg
e6c732d64d1e9ab45c7fc5d863d168d7_zps2bd7c7ad.jpg
691e1182b50edf5436e48563454f2b8e_zpsfc862632.jpga3dd79576a172472524ee9cac0e12023_zpsc36a9282.jpg

First resin model ever. Completed. I wish the submarine wasn't poorly cast. I'm actually guide smitten with his eyes.

Thanks! I really put everything I had into the eyes. I've seen the same build with derpy eyes, and it just kills the entire thing IMO. So I was profusely sweating as I began painting them. How I got a pretty decent end result is beyond me. Truly a case of beginners' luck. Actually, I went over how to do it in my head over and over. Went to sleeping thinking about those eyes.

Since it's a recast, the sub was poorly done. I'm talking to a modeling guru and I'm thinking of using a type of insulation and creating what should look like and underwater explosion. Maybe something I can place on and off without 'ruining' the model.

I just got my second resin kit in the mail. IT...IS...HUGE. :p

Latest posts

Back