Tale of two er… three airspeeders

ohbejuan

I have two Air/Snowspeeders in my stash. I decided to start a new project building both at once. I do this a lot.

I wanted to make Airspeeders for different environments. I decided on a sandspeeder and swamp/jungle speeder. I am using two kits: The Bandai and the Fine Molds 1/48 kits. I have built the Bandai kit before, but this is my first fine molds kit. I am impressed by the quality of the Fine Molds kit.

Anyway, my inspiration for the coloring from a couple planes. The BF -109 f and this random F-16 photo I found:

d49a55aad0edef9598dd130f0558ab87--desert-camo-deserts.jpg

8e0239c28064325e33368527c90750bd.jpg
I was also inspired by this excellent build:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989194-bandai-snowspeeder/

Here is where I am right now:

IMG_3794.jpeg

I have the old MPC/AMT/Ertyl Snowspeeder. I bought resin replacement pilots off of eBay to replace the ridiculous ones the kit comes with, their belly parachutes and all. I had the idea of painting it with a non-Hoth paint scheme. I own the Bandai Snowspeeder, but I never did get the FineMolds one. I saw that the FM version has the canopy handles but Bandai overlooked that detail.

I don't suppose that Round2 is planning to re-release the old Snowspeeder?

I have the old MPC/AMT/Ertyl Snowspeeder. I bought resin replacement pilots off of eBay to replace the ridiculous ones the kit comes with, their belly parachutes and all. I had the idea of painting it with a non-Hoth paint scheme. I own the Bandai Snowspeeder, but I never did get the FineMolds one. I saw that the FM version has the canopy handles but Bandai overlooked that detail.

I don't suppose that Round2 is planning to re-release the old Snowspeeder?
I have not heard anything. I was pleasantly surprised by the fine molds speeder.

Ok I have 6 pilots and 3 cockpits ready. Trying different themes. Standard rebel orange, Vietnam era green, and the blue is supposed to be World War Two ish. IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3942.jpeg

image.jpg

another update. I painted the underside. Had applied chipping medium to the panel edges, and corners a few days ago. I think went back with a wet brush, and damp toothpick and chipped a few areas. I may do more, but I did not want to over do it. Pretty happy with the effect.
I am going to use Tamiya panel liner next. Some of the paint is a little glossy, so I am going to tone it down with matte varnish later.
IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

Kits are looking good. I never gave a thought on doing any form of camo on an airspeeder. I have I thinks it's an MPC one and I also have one for Star Wars Legion game, I might look at doing some kind of camo on the Legion one. Both of mine are partially put together. I'm looking forward to your progress.

This project has returned from the dead. Painted some more markings. The next big step is to that the green model with the orange markings, and do a WWII Soviet style winter white was hon it to make it a ... snow speeder. We will see how that goes. IMG_4465.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

Latest posts

Back