Anyone own/used an Iwata Power Jet Pro?

Foxley

Hey guys! New around here so big wave. :) (no waving smiley :( )

Anyway, I'm looking at getting in to the Airbrush side of modelling and have spent the past month or so researching what I need to get and what I need to do. I've pretty much got my heart set on an Iwata Power Jet Pro and after lots of late night reading through Google searches, it seems like an excellent choice for a compressor based on people's opinions. Not many, however, comment on the noise of the thing.

Noise is a major concern for me and I would hate to buy the thing then be disappointed that it sounded as large as a jet engine. (It's quoted at 52db I think). So does anyone here own one? Or seen one in action? Can you comment on your thoughts, opinions? Any regrets? I'd love to see a video of it, but alas, YouTube is empty.

Cheers!

I cant say I have used that exact one, but most of these airbrush piston compressors are I believe similar. For what its worth I can comment on the couple different Badger branded ones I have. The question of noise is of course very subjective. I can say that while they are far from silent, they are no where near the noise of a pneumatic tool compressor. Their motor/pump sound itself is not particularly objectionable or irritating and while running you can carry on a conversation in the room. With my older tank-less model my wife upstairs could tell when I was using it, though it didn't really bother her. My newer one with tank is a bit quieter and with the door to my modeling room shut if my wife is watching TV upstairs she doesn't hear it at all.

I recently invested in the Iwata SprintJet which i believe is in the same family of compressors...but I'm not certain. I have been just thrilled with the thing. Very very quiet: so quiet that the loudest part is the hiss of the air coming out of the airbrush.

Hey Hodges, thanks for the reply. I can also attest to the quality and sound of the Iwata's since I went ahead and just ordered the Power Jet Pro.

It is absolutely fantastic and really quite. You are right when you say the sound of the air from the brush is louder than the compressor itself.

if the compressor running is an issue , here's a little known tip.directly from a huge Iwata dealer
your better of with the power jet lite over the power jet pro.This is what I gather.. as I don't have one myself

the power jet pro has a tiny-tiny reservoir , but as soon as you start spraying the compressor kicks on and depletes the tank rather quickly . than after you quit spraying it still continues to run to refill the tank... not as quickly

the power jet lite is exactly the same compressor but it only runs when you spray.

less run time ,therefore less heat,therefore less moisture , no miniscule reservoir to collect moisture either.
same cfm and everything else identical for $100 less !!!!

It's a case where having that tiny reservoir actually makes it run more ! and for $100 more with no added benefit !

however all that said ,, they are great compressors and you can't go wrong with either and maybe it's not a difference at low psi's either

I totally disagree with that dealer's advice. I cant say I've used the specific Iwatas mentioned but I own VERY similar models under another brand and the principals of tank vs. tankless apply regardless.

Models with a tank call on the compressor motor in cycles. While you paint they run for a minute or so (depends on the size of the tank), then quit for a minute, and so on. With a tankless design the motor is near constantly pulsing on/off and gets just as hot (if not hotter) and I believe is harder on it in the long run.

You get MORE moisture when you don't have a tank because the air off the manifold is warm and the moisture trap cannot do its job efficiently (the air cools in your hose and condensation forms). With a tank not only does the tank itself capture some moisture via condensation on its walls, but gives the air a chance to cool before it hits the moisture trap which can then capture any which still remains. Some tankless designs try to mitigate this by putting a length of coiled hose between the manifold and the moisture trap, but essentially what that is is a very very small "tank" (the volume of the hose).

In addition, the output of a tankless one is very inconsistent (always a couple psi higher at the start of your trigger).

Having said all that, unless one really wants to run 2 airbrushes at the same time the PowerJet would probably be a better choice than the PowerJetPro simply because of the larger tank.

See my recent review of the Badger TC-910 for more detail:
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,3766.0.html

that makes sense , you never know what a dealer has in mind , but I found it odd that he was suggesting a cheaper model , so I wanted to mention it . .. I don't have personel experience with either model .

Hi ya vwrmic,
I have the Power Jet Lite and have been using it for over a year now. I gotta say that it has been sweet. It is nice and quiet and kicks in only while brushing. Otherwise it stays off. The pressure is constant and it is just an all round top little outfit. Easy to adjust, easy to clean and runs high or low pressure no problems at all. I have mine in the hobby room which is next to the main bedroom and my wife does not even notice when I am painting at night. I would have no hesitation in buying another one if I ever have to. Hopefully this one will last me many many years.
cheers,
FW190

Latest posts

Back