Any way to paint in a both without venting to outside?

ulvdemon

Everyone, I seemt o have run into a slight issue. I know that working with paints that you need to have ventilation, yet what can be done if you want to work with a paint booth but have no access to a venting the fumes to the otuside? Actually I can vent to the outside, but it would also allow a number of 6 legged creatures fromt he rentention pond next to my house into the house, and I know the wife would not like that. Any suggestions?

i only use my vent when i use really smelly stuff, using acrylics 95% of the time is grand, so if you use the smelly's time to change :D

What he said. If you are using a true water based, solvent free paint (please note: not all acrylics are solvent free), then you don't have any fumes to evacuate, rather you have "paint dust" which you will want to capture (otherwise the room will get a coating on every horizontal surface after a few paint sessions). This can be done with proper filter media as part of your booth's air handling.

Alternatively can you vent though a window insert that you can take in and out as need be?

Might have to look into making a window insert. Since we are renting the house might be problematic, ecspecially since it looks like they painted a majority of the windows shut. Gotta love this hobby. :)

I would have to agree with Sunsanvil, while I paint mostly with acrylics, and vent everything outside, you really don't need to if you are using a NON solvent based paint, something like Vallejo.

That being said...you can always attach your vent from your airbooth to a piece of board that is the width of your window, and only put it in when you are using your airbooth. Take it out and close the window when not in use.

I will see what I can do about making an insert for a window. Just anotherproject to add to the list.

When I lived in an apartment, I made a small booth that would key into the bathroom sink. I ran a dryer vent hose into the fart fan. Worked very well.

One caution with any fan is if you are venting very concentrated solvent based fumes, the fan itself can cause a flash fire if it isn't rated for flammables. If you are spraying rattle can paints and the like, don't risk it. Seriously.

A fume explosion like that can melt the alveoli in your lungs in an instant and cause irreparable damage.

Latest posts

Back