Another kind of modeling...

ceecrb1

And no... not girls!

Just thought people might like to see what they do "round here" in Valencia, Spain every year.
The festival is on right now.. its all fireworks and dressing up in the national dress and things like that... but one of the main parts is also the MASSIVE statues they make every year.
They are made from wood, foam etc.. metal isnt allowed in the rules (they are judged).
The real shame is that to mark the end of the festival, they are filled with fireworks and petrol and burned down... (thats tomorrow night).
There is always a theme.. This one is all about the local corruption.
They are all hand made, carved and painted from "scratch" using just an artists drawing as a guide.. there are no "plans" to measure from etc.
The most expensive this year cost 200,000€... yes really. two hundred thousand euros. In years gone by they have reached 500,000....
Anyway.. here is a photo of the one next to my house which won the first prize in our town.

Google Las Fallas de Valencia for more info.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quite spectacular! I wonder if any of them have ever had a stay of destruction, can't imagine burning these things. Unless they aren't built to last anyway.

No they are ALL burned.
In reality one "statue" from each is kept and the decision is made by the "head lady" of the groups who build them... kind of like being the prom queen but in local dress and they are always the smaller statues obviously.

The same thing happens for the children.. they have smaller and more "children's book" style ones and again the prom (lets call her) princess chooses one that doesn't get burned.

As I work in TV and events, I`m often working around them.. including during their burning... and as its all expanding foam and polystyrene... just imagine how high the flames go!! the firemen soak the buildings around them and the air above them to keep the flames from going too high...

here is an average example.....
Cremà Falla Plaça del Pilar 2009

CEECRB1,

WoW !! Those are some cool statues !! Smokin. ;D Literally ..... Very Cool stuff. Thanx for sharing !!

Latest posts

Back