AMT bulldozer

Jeep

Well I was cleaning out the garage and came across this un finished kit, neglected since............2003 or so maybe longer, It seems like as good a time as any to try to finish this up since my modeling time is pretty limited of late.

Awesome. I wish there were more construction vehicle kits out there. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

The bane of this project is going to be: 1st missing parts and 2cd over sized and or missing details. The sub assemblies came together really quick but checking referenced there are a LOT of details that are missing, oversize and or molded in poorly. The tracks in particular are bad. I think that I am going to detail them with plastic card "rivets" made with a 1mm punch and maybe shave them down some to show some wear. I am missing a lot of the ripper bits and pieces and could make them again but I am going to put a simple draw bar on instead. stretched sprue and wire will make the hydraulic lines and then some odds and ends from plastic card. I have already thinned down the nose plate with a dremel tool (drum sander) on the back side of the kit part. the dozer had the grill on a DECAL sheet which is not only lame but missing. I have spent the last week looking for K&S brass mesh with round holes (1mm) but even online it is made of unobtainium apparently. In the mean time I am punching individual holes in thin plastic card to make another grill, the problem is I only have to screw up once to ruin that part and start over. But the punching can go to detailing the tracks. The goal of this build is completion though right? and it will be a welcome break to paint and weather something not military. It strikes me that we need a kit manufacture to step up and make some good construction machinery kits that do not date from the 1970s. maybe in scales around 1.20.3, 1/22, 1/24, 1/29, 1/32 and 1/35 which are common large scale model train scales for a broader market.

[

Sorry for the delay, I have been fighting with rather severe computer issues, anyhow here is where I am with this build. I have mostly been able to find all the parts of made some of the missing ones. I have started punching out rivet heads out of plastic card to add some detail to the tracks with have been shaved down a little bit for a more appropriate appearance. I have added some Hydraulic lines with solder glued to the tops of the lift cylinders, I have also drilled out the grill casting but as of yet been unable to find the appropriate brass mess to finish things out there so far. I am still thinking about how to finish that part up

Definitely looking good there, Jeep.
A lot of work in those rivets, but they definitely make the treads look better

Re: AMT bulldozer, ARRISE dead thread!

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198_zps60ac1e0d.jpg

Arise dead thread, It has been a busy YEAR of building a house but as we near completion I have staked out a new "man cave" and can start working on models again, part of the impetus is the build something form the movies group build: I have decided to finish this from HELLFIGHTERS_La_zps9c39fcda.jpg Staring john Wayne. Based loosely on Red Adair, who even makes the Duke look small. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIlD3_Z92wM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFmyQg7Naxo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhZRDuL69Y

Latest posts

Back