Admiral Graf Spee from Contest to the Finish

Tailor, I've got to chime in here, definitely looking forward to your next video and future projects.

Hi, guys!

Thank you for your kind comments.
The second part about the sea-base will be online on Sunday. It's going to another 20-23mins.
It seems it'll take me a third video to really get this chapter covered to an extend that everbody will be able to follow it up to a satisfactory result.
I really want to get it done before vacation, as I know, I'll have hard time to get back to it afterwards.

Cheers,
Guido

Hello again, I have a few more questions.

1. What sort of material do you use for rigging? I used just sewing string

2. Ive looked into the washes and Ive read about them, according to Vallejo you can mix pigment in or other paints to change the varition of the wash hue, would you say this was true? and also do you put wash on the super structure or deck? or would you suggest the AK Interactive Weathering set for ships? and if so can you also change the hue by mixing pigment or paints?

3. Ive looked at the Ak Interactive AKI 559- Acrylic Paint: German Warships Set, would you sugges this set? and is it a good deal?

4. I plan on purchasing the Heller Bismarck Battleship set so I can have a matching ship to my tirptiz, would Tom's Model 1/400 Tirpitz photo-etched detail set 4010 fit on both since they are very similar?

5. Should I glue the superstructure together then paint (I only have brushes to paint with) or should I paint each peice individually and then glue it together?

Tailor said:
Hi, guys!

Thank you for your kind comments.
The second part about the sea-base will be online on Sunday. It's going to another 20-23mins.
It seems it'll take me a third video to really get this chapter covered to an extend that everbody will be able to follow it up to a satisfactory result.
I really want to get it done before vacation, as I know, I'll have hard time to get back to it afterwards.

Cheers,
Guido

keep the long videos coming, I went and bought more beer, and am using your instruction to drink them while watching as my justification with my wife... ;D

Yeah, why waste your time on getting a sixpack, when you can have a whole keg without even breaking a sweat! ;D ( I am 250+ pounds and like my beer, so I know what I am talking about!)
Of cause more video entertainment is coming your way.

Shawn-
@1.: I am using a combination of methods on each model: Elastic mono-filament, streched sprue and Caenis lure yarn.
Of cause I'll be showing the rigging methods up close in one of the upcoming vids.
@2.: True: you can tint your washes using other paints. Just make sure you don't try to mix Acrylics with enamels. Careful when using pigments. Usually they are too prominent and intense for small scale ships, i.e. <1/72.
@3.: I haven't used that particular set. However I am very fond of the AK line of products. IIRC I have won such a set in the BSC. I'll make sure to video-review it for SMA. Until that time I think you won't go wrong using their products. Make sure to use washes and streaking solutions on properly finished surfaces.
@4.: I can not tell for sure. I have a few sets of Tom's, but I am not a great fan of their line to tell you the truth. Now, I have to say that this goes for the sets that were developped and produced when Tom Harris was still was with us (May he rest in peace in that special corner of heaven reserved for scale modellers). I do not know their quality today, but IMHO I find it hard to work with their older sets. However, I wholeheartedly recommend to you to use White Ensign Models 1/400 Bismarck/Tirpitz which I have used to build a Leipzig. They may be somewhat more expensive, but on my page they make the best PE in the market.
@5.: I am a friend of building all major assemblies into place, then paint the deck, mask it, then paint the superstructre. However that can create problems with gaining access to some recesses. You need to figure out what best for you and how you convince your wife give you an airbrush for Christmas.
@6.: Ok man, you gotta be more specific than that! ;D

I am out of "office" tomorrow paddling with my son's school class: Big farewell tour and BBQ "Bye, bye Junior High".
So I'll be back on Sunday to answer more questions and the (almost finished) new video.

Cheers,
Guido

Hi, guys!

Here is the next update. I hope you like it.

1/350 Admiral Graf Spee: Sea-Scape Part 2

Do you think it is OK to show all the aspects like removing masking tape etc? Or should I leave those less-than exciting bits out?
Please let me know your opinion.

Cheers,
Guido

show everything, it's more helpful and educational the more complete it is and the less assumptions that are made about the audiences base skill set.

looking forward to it!

Ok, guys!
The full monty it is.

Here's the next bit and guess what...
Yup - it's still not finished...., but I am getting there.
My credo is to try somthing new with every new build. The new method is using paper tissue for wave structures. I wonder how that will turn out. The technique is based on a method mastered by Werner de Keersmaeker. He is a real scale-water-magician. Something really to aspire to.
You will see some time around 21:45 I switched to using a different brush to dap down the tissue. From the flat angle I was looking at the base, I did not realise, that I was adding a red tint to the tissue. I became really obvious when the paper dried. Bugger...
Red is a really nasty colour it alway creeps through added layers, so I will have to do some repair work in the next step.

For now enjoy this one:

1/350 Admiral Graf Spee: Sea-Scape Part 3

Your comments and questions are - as always - appreciated!

Cheers,
Guido

:eek: when u 1st started putting the tissue down i said "WHATS HE DOING!! But when u put the ship on it i thought wow thats just unreal how the whole base changes.... absalutly fantastic work my friend :)

The surface is painted and finished. The hully has yet to be merged and blended into the seascape. The next video is about 60% finished. I need two more hours at the bench and some time to edit the video. I'll be on vacation starting Friday. I will post a video before I leave, for which I hope to finish the base.
So look out for Thursday night/Friday morning (European time frame).
Cheers,
Guido

Here's is the final bit of painting BEFORE the hull is merged with the seascape. I wanted to include this into this video, but first thing I managed was to break of some railings and crush a ladder. Bu**er! So I am resting with what I have at hand for today. I'll be at it again in about two and a half weeks. C/U then, enjoy the video, and let me know what you think. Remember: This is my first time trying this paper tissue method, so your feedback will help me sort things out and get a better perspective.

1/350 Admiral Graf Spee: Sea-Scape Part 4

C/U soon!
Cheers,
Guido

WOW Guido...I had to play a little catch up here but hwat a fantastic job you have made of this project!! Excellent work on the ship and great stuff on that base!!! :eek:

Latest posts

Back