Academy 1/48 F-16

Well, I ran into some trouble. Any help will be much appreciated.

I airbrushed another coat of dark gray. This is how it dried in some areas:

41_zpse755db5e.jpg

42_zpscd180d7b.jpg

43_zps77436569.jpg

44_zps5fefc2e8.jpg

I'm using Humbrol enamels.

a) Do you believe those streaks may disappear or at least be attenuated after Blem (Future) and a matt varnish coat?

b) If not, is there any other solution (other than stripping the paint)?

Thanks.

pretty cool looking so far I like the idea of the copper wire on the nose as far as the wavy kind of look you may want to try some really fine sand paper but first depending on how the wave pattern looks I have seen on aircraft like the B-52 that the airframe's after time get what appears to a wavy look to them I did a few of mine that way by blowing air down the side to get it. Here is a photo of the side of a B-52 which will hopefully explain what I am referring to

Hope this helps

Arohk, thank you very much for your comment. I used copper wire after many failed attempts at stretching sprue. As for the streaks, it's limited to the areas shown in the photos, so I will follow your advice and try using fine sand paper.

And that guy on Youtube made it look so easy...

I'll give it another try tomorrow.
[/quote]

Keep pluggin away mate, I'm sure it will work out fine.

Rookie, Pzl66, thanks for your comments guys. Tomorrow I will paint the tanks and pylons and will try again to post-shade the dark gray. Regardless of how it comes out, I will post some photos.

Well, this F-16 has beaten me; so, to spare you more of my whining, I'll put this build on hold until I figure the best way to remove the paint (considering that the instrument panels are represented by decals). Then I will give it another try. In the meantime, I'll start building a 1/48 F-15I.

Sorry to see that you're still having problems
Fully understand putting it on hold, though

I honestly had no idea this simple Academy F-16 kit could be so problematic. So many fit issues, simplistic details, ejector pin mark where they ought not to be that those nicely recessed panel lines really don't make up for the engineering quirks. Also, to add to my doubts about furthering my Falcon project is the lack of any aftermarket decals for early F-16As. I do have some Super Scale decals for Israeli "MiG Killers" and the 40th Anniversary of the Dutch Air Force, very nice decals and long OoP but neither option really interests me. Decal options for early Block F-16s are virtually non-existent these days.
I think I'll pass this project on to another who won't mind the cruddy issues and with resin aftermarket ejection seat and small stabilators it will be welcome. :p

Latest posts

Back