56 Nomad

Thanks guys. No Ace this isn't going to be a stock car. I never really got into that. Rather it is a "Stock" class drag car. This was a class just for street cars. When they first started having organized drag racing back in the mid fifties, these Stock class cars had to be fully stock, just like from the factory and right off the street. As time went on they relaxed the rules a little bit. Eventually you were able to run open exhaust, cheater slicks etc, but it still had to be mostly stock. This car would be along the lines of my Nomad.

fgfg.jpg

They also made a special class during the 1960's called Factory Experimental (FX) that was much more extreme. These ended up being known as the first Funny cars because people thought they looked funny with their altered wheelbase and all.

Golden.jpg

noname said:
I also repainted the engine. It was okay the way it was but it was brushpainted therefore the paint was a little uneven in a couple spots. Much better now.

IMG_9191.jpg

glad you redid the engine bro, I didn't want to say anything but, the engine was uber-shiney compared to the rest of the cars vintage paint .

this is really coming along nice ,, a trophy build.

noname said:
Chassis is pretty much done. I gave it a crude wash, added a tiny bit of rust and wear here and there. Then I gave it a good dusting. I chose to do this as a car raced in 1962. Less pavement in 62 not to mention a number of tracks had gravel pit areas. I just wanted it to look used and dirty. 8)

IMG_9189.jpg

By the way, that isn't rust on the floor. These tri five Chevy's had their floor painted red oxide primer. The frame and suspension would have been painted black before assembly, just like mine. ;)

Dy-No-Mite !! Great lookin Chassis !! This car is Bad AZZ !!!!

Thanks for your nice comments guys.

The engine is coming along slowly but surely. Wanted to show you folks my scratchbuilt headers. Kit headers are rarely sufficient. Sorry for the dark photo. I'll try to get a better pic when the engine is wired and plumbed. ;D

IMG_9215.jpg

She's comin on nice fella :D What did you use for the headers ?

Chris.

Thanks guys.

I used styrene for the headers bent over candle flame. A bigger piece of styrene tube for the collector.I may add some hex rod for bolts on the flange if I think it will be seen.

Just a little more work and it will be all wired up and sexy. ;D

Very nice work so far. Love those old pics from yesteryear, brings back memories when I used to check out my brothers Hot Rod mags.

Thanks RocketSilo and Scratchmod. Yes the old drag cars had a real character that the newer cars don't have in my opinion.

I think the engine is pretty much done.

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

I'm getting closer to comlpletion. Still have a little underhood detail to do as well as finishing up the body. Wishing I had some decal paper right now. This car needs a garage name or something on it. Oh well, I do have some period racing decals from Slixx. I at least have to come up with a way to get some numbers on there as well. I have a plan but hadn't had the chance to try it yet.

You done a sweet job on those headers from styrene !...Engine is looking very cool ;)

Chris.

So it's agreed then, it's a good engine.LOL Thanks guys. I've been working on extended collector pipes like on the 56 wagon pictured on the previous page. I have to wait until the batteries for the camera charge up so I can show you a pic.

I think I'm going to paint the rims white. This way the white on the body, rims and collectoe pipes can play off of each other. I usually do my steelies black. I just love black steel wheels. But back in the day they were sometimes white, chromed, red, blue etc.

Latest posts

Back