56 Nomad

noname

I painted this body two or three years ago and decided to finish it. I got the inteior mostly painted today. Next have to do the dash board and whatnots. As you can see here I've started at the miserable job of BMFing the chrome trim. I purposely left the car without too much shine. As I understand it, cars in the fifties didn't have the deep, high gloss shine that can be achieved today with clear coats etc.

IMG_9143.jpg

Also have the egine painted. Here can be seen the standard transmission I added. The kit comes with a two speed Powerglide. Not a good choice for a drag car. I was originally planning for this car to be Stock class drag car BTW.

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

Thanks guys. It is a typical, conservative paint job for the mid 50's. I did some more BMF last night but still have a bit more to go. Had to redo an area a few time before I realized it was time to change my xacto blade. Very important when doing the trim with BMF. That and patience. ;)

Nice Nomad !

I seen one done like the one in Tim the Tool man Taylor with the Big I beam thru the roof...

it was so well done... just like a movie prop...

Don't do that to yours thou !!! LOL

Keep up the good work !

the chroom looks great !

Later !

Very nice ;D The Nomad is one of my favs ,looking forward to the finish .

Chris.

Thanks guys.
Well, I got the chrome pretty well done. I kinda ran out. This is where I was when I was finishing up the side windows and windshield.

IMG_9177.jpg

Then I finally got that done. Notice the BMF is running out. :-\ I had to redo the top part around the windshield and I broke the trim while taking off the BMF. Luckily, I glued it back in place and it isn't too noticeable.

IMG_9178.jpg

And I just didn't have enough to do the vertical chrome trim on the tailgate. So I'll have to ask you not to look at my rear end. ;)

IMG_9180.jpg

I don't think it turned out too bad considering I was using BMF that was at least a couple of years old and I only had a small square left. Hopefully the next time I will have a brand new blemish free sheet of BMF to start with.

NONAME,

The Nomad !! Right On !! I love this body style ... one of MY all time favorites !!

The Paint Rox , I like what your doin with th BMF !!

Thank you for your comments guys.

I got the interior pretty much done. Only need to make a shifter and maybe a seatbelt. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I ran out of the light blue spray paint before I finished the interior so I had to BS the rest with a brush and artist acrylic. Then of course I have no more BMF so all the interior trim that should be chrome I had to brush paint aluminum. Doesn't look quite right. I may have rushed it a tad too. :-[ Oh well, once in the car it won't look too bad.

IMG_9183.jpg

Next is the chassis. I won't go crazy with brake lines etc. as hardly anytbody will see it. But I'll paint and weather it so it looks good.

It's crazy, I'm doing this thing totally backwards than I normally would. Normally I would start with the chassis and motor, then interior and then do the body last. It's best to paint the body towards the end so you don't have to handle the paint during all the dry fitting. As long as this thing looks the business I'm cool with it all. ;D

really clean work noname , top notch
I'm like you, I don't like to paint the body first thing ,,, I'm way to sloppy for that
plus it drives me to get the harder stuff done,, so I can get to the more fun body painting.

Impressive cockpit noname!!! I like what you've done with the place!! ;D Mr. Clean!! ;)

Thanks for the nice comments guys. If I showed you some close up pics, it might not look super clean. But, I think it's good enough once in the car. If a guy wanted to to do a real bang up realistic job, he'd have to sloooow down and tackle the chrome. These old cars often have as much chrome on the inside as the outside.

Chassis is pretty much done. I gave it a crude wash, added a tiny bit of rust and wear here and there. Then I gave it a good dusting. I chose to do this as a car raced in 1962. Less pavement in 62 not to mention a number of tracks had gravel pit areas. I just wanted it to look used and dirty. 8)

IMG_9189.jpg

By the way, that isn't rust on the floor. These tri five Chevy's had their floor painted red oxide primer. The frame and suspension would have been painted black before assembly, just like mine. ;)

I also repainted the engine. It was okay the way it was but it was brushpainted therefore the paint was a little uneven in a couple spots. Much better now.

IMG_9191.jpg

the whole thing is coming to together really nice... so this is going to be a stock car huh?

Latest posts

Back