Revell 56' Ford F-100 rust bucket

Glorfindel

Kids I'm working out of my comfort zone here and am attempting four new things on this build.
1. A car/truck
2. Wonderful rust
3. Rust holes
4. Dents
I'm as green here as string beans on a tomato plant. Scott was gracious enough to add a link to Todd's killer rusting tutorial in an earlier post so thank you young man. I've been referring to it and have put some basics to good use already. Todd has also offered a hand to any questions I may have if they arise, so thank you brother.
I've been idle for about 7 months and that is far too long. Don't want the skills to get rusty. Excuse the pun.
The kit is Revell's 1:25 scale Ed Roth 56' Ford F-100 Pickup. A few customizing options and color call outs for Ed's ride. I'm going in a slightly different direction and most likely using another color as it's base coat other then the Gloss White.

56FordF-100_zps4a592eb8.jpg

Now I've seen a ton of rusting tutorials on YouTube using the two part rusting method that you can pick up at craft stores, and they look great and convincing, but I feel the need to paint. Also have an idea or two to help build up some texture as rust is rarely smooth. So what's done so far is a rusty chassis and a rusty and worn motor. Base rust color is Tamiya Flat Brown on top of a primer coat. I then lightened some of the high spots of rust with a few drops of Tamiya Orange mixed in the paint cup with Flat Brown. Hairspray and salt technique to taste of course prior to rust colors. All chrome parts for this kit have been stripped using Easy Off. Within 4 minutes the parts were stripped to bare plastic. The headers, starter, carburetor were painted with a mixture of Flat Aluminum and Flat Black to show their age. The whole engine got the rust treatment. Also hit it in spots with AK Rust Streaks albeit very lightly. What I didn't put yet on the motor is the fan and air filter. The air filter seems thin to me so I may thicken it with a sliver (.5 ml) styrene to beef it up.
Anthony

Rustedchassis_zpsa33a5d3b.jpg
Rustedmotor_zps2aa023c3.jpg

Looking good! I'll be along for the ride Glorfindel. Looking forward to the updates.

Count me in!! Looking good brotha', way to dig in!! No where's my popcorn?!!! ;D ;D ;D

Great looking project so far! Be advised though, that the 56 Ford from Revell can be a handful as exemplified by the difficulties experienced in the Egyptian Raider thread. Good luck and I look forward to more on this build. :)

dazed1 said:
Great looking project so far! Be advised though, that the 56 Ford from Revell can be a handful as exemplified by the difficulties experienced in the Egyptian Raider thread. Good luck and I look forward to more on this build. :)
Yes, dazed1 I know that thread and the frame and cab are indeed warped. Both I already straightened out and that's easy to fix. I haven't gotten to the doors yet but I have no problem with a bad fit since this is going to be a pretty derelict style build. Doors that don't fit and look dreadful will be perfect here.
Thanks for the heads up.

Some work done last night and some more weathering done to the motor.
First the motor.

Motor_zps72a9ecbf.jpg
Motor3_zps9b72b43f.jpg
motor4_zps76e54e19.jpg

I have a few minor touch ups on the motor before installation but I'm happy with the way it came out.
I took the time to thin the plastic a bit behind the panels to help with rust holes. My Dremel on it's lowest setting and a sanding drum did the trick. If your doing this you must wear safety glasses because bits of styrene fly wildly all over the place.

Bodyrot2_zps2ce7dfc8.jpg

After thinning the plastic I moved on to making rust holes. Tools used are the Tamiya Handy Drill, sanding stick, metal file, old tooth brush (knock off bits of plastic & clean up) and #11 Exacto blade.

Makingrustholes_zpsfcf73c70.jpg

The process for the holes was like this. First drill small holes, not far apart from one another but also not evenly spaced. Stagger them. Later they'll be joined and a better looking rot look will be apparent.

Drillingholes_zps1d688fd2.jpg

Some of the holes you can connect using the side of the bit and applying some pressure.

connectingdrilledholes_zps44af4102.jpg

Using the toothbrush I then knocked off the bits of styrene that wedge in to the grooves. I clean the area around the drilled holes also with the sanding stick. I spend some time switching between the two. It's at this point I'm using the file for some more adjustments to the holes.
Finally I end up with the #11 to further connect the holes and add some random shapes so the rust holes don't look like bullet holes.

Fixingrustholes_zps12bfc548.jpg

A few more swipes with the toothbrush and sanding stick and your done.

Rustholes_zpse18c2588.jpg

Quick mock up/dry fit.

Dryfit_zpsa748d567.jpg
closeup_zps24b811e5.jpg

Very soon should be primer and paint.
Thanks for watching.

Looking mighty tastey there Anthony!! All that texturing will show up nicely under some color!! Engine looks the part brotha! Keep the fires lit there!!! ;)

Some scratch building, modifying and yummmmmm...........primer.
I cut out the kit floor in back of the pick up and will use real wood strips instead. I'll beat the tar out of those too when the time comes. So back there I scratched a support frame for the wood boards, not accurate to the real thing but that's okay. I cut up the dash board and removed the radio, opened up the glove compartment and boxed it in. I then added an open door. I also cut open and wounded the seat for more neglect. Oh' and I used a candle to warm the plastic to help form dents on the body. The primer helped to show off some injector marks at the base of the dash. I'll clean that up next and some other little touch ups as well.
Thanks as always, Anth.

Flatbed_zps4e2b2140.jpg
DashFirewall_zpsb713171b.jpg
Seat_zpsb220f793.jpg
Fenders_zps08e8d021.jpg
Doors_zps09269945.jpg
Lotofit_zpsff81261a.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

That's the spirit!! Love Primer!!! The crisp look to it....and I know what comes next!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quick update. Few pics but a decent amount of work went in to this the past week to ten days. There are now three layers of rust tones down with another one to go. All layers are seal in with Model Masters Lacquer Flat lightly misted. The final layer will be noticeably lighter then the previous layers and only relocated to top surfaces only. After that it will be sealed again followed by another salting and a light gray mix to replicate primer on a select few (very few)vertical surfaces. I hardly want any to be seen because these areas will be mostly covered by the trucks original paint color. Not sure what that will be yet so I'll sleep on it, again. Any hoo here you go.

First up is the original base coat of Tamiya Flat Brown with Orange mixed in afterwards to highlight the center and upper portions of panels.

Rust3_zpse2349baa.jpg
Rust1_zps7ce3c275.jpg

So after two additional salt layers and paint colors that were all mixed by eye, all random mixing, no formula, I've come to this with a quick mock up.

Rustymockup1_zps075c8a17.jpg
Rustymockup4_zps96211914.jpg
Rustymockup3_zps6927acbd.jpg

Thanks for watching,
Anthony

Looking great Anthony!! The different tones are showing nicely!! Looking forward to the top coats once you had enough sleep on it!! ;)

Latest posts

Back