1/72 Shadow Fox

Ravhin

Here's my next challenge, a giant mecha fox from Kotobukiya's Highend Model Master line of model kits ;D.

20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0001.jpg

Without further ado let's take a look at the parts.

20121216_hmm_shadow_fox_0007.jpg

It's not a big kit, I would say that it's more or less the equivalent of a small master grade for those that are familiar with those kits :p, still it has quite a bit more detail and intricacies than most gundams, which obviously comes with a cost.

Leg axles
20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0006.jpg

All these parts make the axles where the legs will attach with the body. Even though they will never be seen those "disk brakes" (or whatever they are) are quite detailed. The torso is made in a somewhat smart way since it doesn't have any seam line, which I find curious as most of it will be covered by the armour and the rest of the body and legs. Regardless this means that the blue section on top, where the gun will attach can be painted without worrying with masking when it comes time to paint the body.

The cockpit
20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0002.jpg

The poor guy doesn't have a proper chair but it does have a sort of console. The figure comes pre painted and I'm not going to bother with him. For now, figures (specially such tiny ones) are out of my league.

Left side of the head
20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0003.jpg

The head is sexy and certainly foxy :D. One thing I don't understand is why Kotobukiya bothered moulding the inner section of the ears separately.To have the inside of the ear in the proper colour masking is still needed so this strikes me as useless.

Right side of the head
20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0004.jpg

The fit for the pilot is incredibly tight, I would certainly not want to pilot that thing is such a cramped cockpit.
Some care is needed to have everything going in the right place in the right way or else the halves won't join properly. For some places of this assembly I will certainly be using some glue as they don't give me too much confidence.

Front Leg
20121216_hmm_shadow_fox_0008.jpg

Sexy leg, but it's possible to see here some of the most annoying seam lines, in the armour below the vent and in the frame at the joint area. Though I didn't take a picture of the back side, it suffers from the same problem, also the feet and the anchors also have seam lines that will need to be filled. The fit is tight and very precise so a little bit of tamiya extra thin will do the trick but for the armour, masking will be required.
Also note that the knee disks are moulded in blue and will also need to be painted in the appropriate colour. This happens on all four legs.

Front Body
20121216_hmm_shadow_fox_0009.jpg

The only place where we are given separate parts for the meshed areas

Gun
20121216_hmm_shadow_fox_0010.jpg

The fox is not heavily armed but that is one cool looking weapon. Not clear in the picture but the main part of the barrel, behind the 4 tubes, must go in before closing the light blue halves that make up the support structure. Unfortunately these blue parts have seams to fix, so I will have to either use a lot of masking or I'll modify the part in order to be able to slide the gun inside the structure. I will most likely mod the piece, it's not a complicated procedure in this case.

The neck
20121209_hmm_shadow_fox_0005.jpg

Good range of motion, no visible seam lines, but those disks need to be gold, while the inside is still blue. That will be fun, I like masking circular areas.

Some details more details
20121216_hmm_shadow_fox_0011.jpg

To finish just a close up on two parts that show two of the main characteristics of this kit. One of those is the detail, there is allot that one can do to bring more life into this plastic. On the other hand some of those details really need to be worked on to have the proper look like the disks in the leg armour and the mesh that exists all over the body.

Next steps will be painting the piping as well as the golds and silvers before tackling the main body sections and armour as well as start fixing some seams in the inner body parts.

YAY!!!!!!!
I am so excited! Someone is finally building one of the Kotobukiya Zoids kits here!
Their level of detail is Insane!
I have been a big fan of Zoids....well, ever since they were originally released. I was just mentioning to my stepson today how it would be kewl to do up some Zoids, and either make them Post Apocalyptic, or WWII era! :)
Are you going to do a lot of weathering, or customization?
;D

ModelMakerMike said:
YAY!!!!!!!
I am so excited! Someone is finally building one of the Kotobukiya Zoids kits here!
Their level of detail is Insane!
I have been a big fan of Zoids....well, ever since they were originally released. I was just mentioning to my stepson today how it would be kewl to do up some Zoids, and either make them Post Apocalyptic, or WWII era! :)
Are you going to do a lot of weathering, or customization?
;D

I'm going to stick mostly to its oob colours, but I'll paint the various details to give it a bit more life. There is also a couple of techniques that I want to try, dirty the inner body a bit, create some variation in the armour, maybe with some oils, and a little bit of weathering for sure, but nothing heavy.

letsgobrowns82 said:
This looks like a pretty sweet kit!
Quaralane said:
Looks to be a cool little model

It is indeed a sweet and cool little model :) It gets my seal of approval.

Good to see a Zoids kit here. I have been curious about the newer ones for a while now. Nice review!

Continuing the work, this fox has a lot to clean up.

20121222_hmm_shadow_fox_0001.jpg

Just those parts gave me quite a bit of work, with plenty of mould lines in inappropriate places and seam lines to fix.

After everything is cleaned masking follows in order to have the parts with the colours that I want where I want them.

20121226_hmm_shadow_fox_0002.jpg

And after priming and spraying some paint on them, here's how they look now.

20121229_hmm_shadow_fox_0003.jpg

Only after painting them did I notice a couple more imperfections:

20121229_hmm_shadow_fox_00041.jpg

In this closeup it's clearly visible the sink marks on some of the round pieces and ankle guards. I need to pay closer attention to these sort of things.

The piping pieces on the other hand are fine. I got some bleeding, but that will be taken care of in the next stages.

20121229_hmm_shadow_fox_0005.jpg

And that's where it stands for now.

Thanks for watching.

Excellent work.
You are giving it the proper attention that such a detailed kit deserves. :)
Have you ever built any of the Tomy Zoids?

COOL !

A zoid Takara model kit... Not seen that much on the web.

Can't wait to see the next steps. Good work ! :D

ModelMakerMike said:
Excellent work.
You are giving it the proper attention that such a detailed kit deserves. :)
Have you ever built any of the Tomy Zoids?

And this is just the beginning :D . I'v never built one of the old Tomy kits, but from looking at references and examples these are in a totally different league.

YOULI said:
COOL !

A zoid Takara model kit... Not seen that much on the web.

Can't wait to see the next steps. Good work ! :D

Thank you. Hopefully the next steps won't take so long :p

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make.
That these Kotobukiya releases are so much better than the Tomy (toy) versions...
However, I have built some of the Tomy ones, and still have tons unbuilt. I didn't too much customization. Mostly just did custome paint jobs, and spent a lot of time coming up with my own insignia designs. Never really found a good way to have decals printed that would work on dark backgrounds. :/

Nice progress!

ModelMakerMike said:
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make.
That these Kotobukiya releases are so much better than the Tomy (toy) versions...
However, I have built some of the Tomy ones, and still have tons unbuilt. I didn't too much customization. Mostly just did custome paint jobs, and spent a lot of time coming up with my own insignia designs. Never really found a good way to have decals printed that would work on dark backgrounds. :/

I have built up quite a few of the tomy kits years ago. Still have quite a few of them. Never painted them however. Just didn't feel like it at the time.

As for decals, there are two solutions, use a paint mask, put down white paint for a background, and then put the dark decal on the white paint area, or just print the decal on white decal paper and trim carefully.

Slow but steady the fox keeps moving along.

Got some sections of the gun together with several bits in a lighter metallic colour than what I'll use for the frame.

20130107_hmm_shadow_fox_0001.jpg

The hydraulics also had their basecoat complete,

20130107_hmm_shadow_fox_0002.jpg

Next I painted the n caps, which are, well caps that cover many of the joints. These where painted Alclad Gunmetal and the inner bar MM Gold. Still need to retouch the gold in some of them but pay in mind that these are tiny with less than half a centimetre of diameter.

20130110_hmm_shadow_fox_0003.jpg

Also have the support sections for the gun ready for painting. There where a few seam lines to fix which also had to get some putty since they didn't join perfectly flush, making it hard for the glue to completely seal some parts.

20130110_hmm_shadow_fox_0004.jpg

And that's it for now. Next update I'll have the gun assembled ;D

ModelMakerMike said:
I think she'll even be able to give the "Lightning Saix" a run for her money
;D ;D ;D ;D

They are both fast, though I still believe the Saix to be faster, but the fox has much better looks :p

Solander said:
Great work so far! The painting really does help to give a contrast to the details.

Thank you. I'll try to add some finer detailing when it's all assembled but I'll have to see how I handle the hand brush. I'm pretty bad with hand brushing :( but will give it a go.

This will just a small update as I've been unable to put any work on the fox for a while. Even what I'm going to show here is a couple of weeks old.

But anyway, the base coat for the main gun is complete and I am extremely happy with the result. The custom shade I asked Plamo Colour is spot on. The paint was a bit tougher than my usual Mr. Color to paint but I think that with a bit of retarder it will work almost the same. Regardless the finish is beautiful.

20130202_hmm_shadow_fox_0001.jpg

I had to redo the seams and prime a couple of times but in the end it was worth it. There is just a hint of the seam line in the peg but since that will go into another part that doesn't worry me one bit :)

20130202_hmm_shadow_fox_0002.jpg

When I have the whole fox assembled I'll try and detail this further so I hope that it will look even better when I'm done, but for now I'm really quite happy.

Latest posts

Back