1:72 ICM Mig 25PD

dkev

Got a decent start on it. This plane must have been a monster in real life 'cause the 72 scale is HUGE! Anyway, this is a putty and sand job start to finish. The mated surfaces are very odd and there is a lot of gapage. There is no way to avoid sanding off a lot of raised panel lines. I hate that.

Nice start on the MIG, see what you mean about the size, looks big for 1/72.

Set my 1:72 scale F-86 next to it to give you an idea. This is pretty much a 72 scale plane that's nearly the same size as most 48 scale jet fighters.

Gotta stop and think, this plane was developed with one purpose in mind, and that was to intercept and take down the SR-71.

In order to do that, they had to build the plane around the 2 massive engines that is in it, thus resulting in the size of the plane you see.

F-14 Tomcat and F-15 Eagle were pretty big as well. Put a 1/72 F-14 next to that F-86 and it will dwarf it as well.

Yup yup. Scared the crap out of the US. Led to the design of the F-15. Then when they got their hands on a Mig-25 the US was like "oh" hehe. Just a basic stick and ruder plane with huge engines. Not much of a dog fighter though and still couldn't bring down a SR-71.

I dunno about "couldn't" bring down a SR-71. The Mig 25 could do Mach 3, and while it probably couldn't catch up to it....all you have to do it put it in the SR-71's flight path and let loose the missiles, and it would be all over for the SR.

Mig 25 could at least get up to the altitude that the SRs were flying at, they just never had a chance to fire in anger at them.

True, not much of a dogfighter, but that isn't what it was designed for, which was a mistake on the US's part for thinking it was. Basically a rocket with wings to combat SR flights.

Could not and can not. Victor Belenko , the pilot who defected with the Mig 25, said it could not fly as high or as fast as the SR-71 and the plane did not have the missiles to over take the black bird. This just symbolizes the Soviets military. Their bark was louder then their bite. But it's still a neat part of cold war history. That's why I like building these old jets.

Yes and armed Mig 25 could only do about 65000ft (the recon version could do about 80000ft) and a max speed of Mach 3.2. The SR71 max ceiling was about 20000 ft more, however you put enough aircraft in front of an on coming SR71 and start lobbing missiles at it, you are bound to hit something.

the 25s were armed usually with 2 IR Acrids and 2 Radar Acrids, and doctrine when hunting SRs was to fire one of each, wait 5 secs, and fire the other 2. The Acrid with a top speed of about Mach 4.5 could easily catch an SR providing the range was there, and definitely take it out from a front on attack. These missiles were huge, slightly bigger than a US Hawk SAM missile (bigger than a Phoenix as well), and with a 70kg warhead, wouldn't have to hit an SR to take it out, merely a proximity shot would have been enough with a warhead that big.

As well, the SR handles like a dump truck, so doubtful they could maneuver enough to get away from the missiles.

The kicker was, that the SR was stealthy and fast enough that by the time the Soviets reacted and sent something up, the SR was likely already by them.

Max speed is mach 3.2. But that equals the destruction of the engines. 2.8 is considered the red line of the mig. Besides it's kind of a mute point isn't it?

Just a quick update. Got the fuselage assembled and primed. I'm amazed it came out as well as it has so far. The fuselage doesn't fit together for crap. Had to shim the front half with the rest of the fuselage. Breathers didn't fit well either. Finally ran to Hobby Town and picked up some medium Zap A Gap and that made life a bit easier. Also, I bought a "Soft Pack" of Playdoh. This is awesome stuff for wheel well and cockpit masking. Doesn't seem to stain anything that I can tell. Wanted to use Silly Putty but I couldn't find any at the store.

Dkev,

The MiG 25 is very cool build, quick question however;
I could be mistaken but aren't the tops of the wings supposed to have wing fences on them, and the holes are for weapon pylons under the wing?

J

JMac said:
Dkev,

The MiG 25 is very cool build, quick question however;
I could be mistaken but aren't the tops of the wings supposed to have wing fences on them, and the holes are for weapon pylons under the wing?

J

You are absolutely correct! The instruction sheet uses a blurry black and white photo of the plane. None the less, a careless over site that is easily corrected. Thanks! ;D

Back