1:72 French Navy Corsair F4U-7

schweinhund227 said:
Just flashing my stripes! LOL

So long as that's all you're flashing. ;D

I've seen your build before Norm, and it looks great. When I saw this kit at the LHS, I thought that it would be a cool build to try after seeing pictures of your build. I actually thought that you had built this kit and not a 1:48 kit. Now that I'm looking at your picture above, I think I made it a little too light a shade of blue...

Jason (JMac)

Please! I am no Authority in modeling my friend! I just go with the flow!

I just wanted a New bird look... Nothing more!

Keep up the good work!

Still working on this one. Things kind of slowed down here due to loads of fun family holiday stuff ;D and the ravages of one nasty flu :p .

Hoping to wrap it up in the next week or so...

Thanks for looking; comments are always welcome.

Jason (JMac)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I love those Suez crisis Makings.... So colorful !

The French were flying their newly acquired Corsairs....

Take care!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

ShutterAce said:
Now there's some color! What did you use for the blue?

It's a high-vis paint scheme ::)

Well ShutterAce that's a bit of a story. The instructions called for FS 15050 (MM 1772), but I'm not fond of the MM paints and I like to use Tamiya or Vallejo paints. I checked with Vallejos equivalencies (http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/pdf_web/CC073_rev03.pdf) but that did not seem to have a good match. So I checked the Scale model paint data base (http://scalemodeldb.com/paint) and the closest Vallejo paint to the FS 15050 according to the database was MC70930-Dark Blue. I went out to my LHS and picked up a bottle. When I painted it over a black primer coat, and it looked way light. Back to the LHS, and I picked up the next darker shade of blue. Back home and the paint still looked too light after the second coat. I started to look at Tamiyas paint, the Tamiya kit calls for a colour from the spray can, but its too cold for that here right now. So I settled on good old XF-8 Flat blue. Truth be told it looks darker on my desk right now than it did in the picture, I think the flash from the camera bleached it a bit. Still it's a lot lighter than the picture Norm posted, but fairly close to the box art.

Live and learn. Next time, there is always next time...

Jason (JMac)

Thanks Q. :)

I just finished it up tonight. The last coats are drying right now. Hope to post some pictures tomorrow or Wednesday.

Jason

Here's the pictures of the F4U-7. Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Jason (JMac)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Love that collection. Finish came out really nice too. A couple more and you'll have a hive.

Thanks Myke.

Yep a few more would make a hive... ;D
Maybe a 1:72 Sea Venom, or a 1:72 F-84 in French markings. I'm not sure what other aircraft supported the Suez stripes during the conflict.

Latest posts

Back