1:72 CC-130 H Hercules (Italeri)

Thanks for the kind words and support Myke and Eastrock. Working on the cargo deck rollers right now, hope to have more pictures posted on Monday.

Jason

Thanks Glennonrp. :)
A "nice job" can sure go a long way ;D

I've been busy busy busy, with tiny tiny tiny parts. The rails are all together, each one is made out of 3 PE parts and 14 pieces of polystyrene rod (0.8mm diameter x 2mm long). That's 112 tiny little rollers. The last picture shows the main loading ramp/door. My hat is off to the tank and armour enthusiasts who build the individual track and links...no idea how you guys do it.

I've also begun to add some details to the cargo bay. I've roughed in two box shaped structures in the middle of the fuselage - I think that they are storage lockers and housing for the spar/wing box.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ah, one day I will be building this plane too. Gonna do any particular Canadian squadron markings? Which kit are you using? Is it any good so far?

NecronautDrummer said:
Just answered my question on the kit make. :p

The kit really isn't that bad (looking on the web and over at ARC, you can find some great build ups of it). The kit does have raised panel lines, and the inside is very basic. The problem for me was that I took a much bigger bite than I could chew when I started this kit. Firstly I decided I would re-scribe all the panel lines - a CC-130 has a lot of panel lines. Then I decided I would add a PE detail set. I'd done some PE before this, but the sets were small. The Big ED PE set is huge, and adds a ton of details to the kit and with it a person could build a very nice/detailled US version of the C-130. The down side is that much of the detail kit will be unseen when everything is buttoned up.

I'm going to do some Canadian markings, a plane stationed here in Edmonton (I have it in my notes at home - not here at work). I still have to order the decals - but that's a ways off yet.

Jason

NecronautDrummer said:
Yeah, I was trying to find out which squadron drove them here.... 427 or 428?

Sorry N.D., my original statement of the aircraft being from a squadron in Edmonton is only partly true.. I checked my notes and asked some questions. I'm building the kit for a co-worker, he wants the outside painted up as CC130340, from 435th Squadron (this was a Hercules that he actually worked on in Edmonton). I think 435 was located in Edmonton prior to 1995, then was moved to Winnipeg. I know almost zilch about Hercules, or their use in the Canadian Forces - but I'm being educated.

Jason

Awesome job on this.... the photo etch stuff is Wicked !

Glad its getting a RCAF livery ! The green Camo or the shark Blue scheme ??

Take care ! I had the big 48th a few years ago but sold it on line... TOO big ! this one look more like I could park it in my Den ! how much for the BIG ED ???

Later !

looks good so far. I'm building the J model right now and sanded all the panel lines off. But I haven't decided whether to scribe new lines or not. Lots of herc pics I've seen (esp the J) its kinda hard to distinguish any recessed lines out (other than the thousands of rivets). So I'm not sure yet. Are you getting the resin engines?

Thanks Norm and Amateurmodeler. Norm - I agree it's going to take up some room, by the time I add the base, a few figures and a truck - it'll easily be the biggest thing I've built. Glad it'll be residing at someone else's house.

I took it to my monthly IPMS meeting - and was amazed how many of the guys had stories relating to personal experiences with the CC-130 aircraft. Either they had flown, flown in , or worked on one at one time or another.

amateurmodeler said:
looks good so far. I'm building the J model right now and sanded all the panel lines off. But I haven't decided whether to scribe new lines or not. Lots of herc pics I've seen (esp the J) its kinda hard to distinguish any recessed lines out (other than the thousands of rivets). So I'm not sure yet. Are you getting the resin engines?

I kind of think that re-scribing the panel lines on this beast was a bit of a mistake- but I'm about a third of the way into it and well...I'm a third of the way into it :p

I'd love to see your progress on building the J, do you have a thread posted here on SMA?

I'm not going to add any other aftermarket stuff outside of the Big Ed P.E. set. :D

schweinhund227 said:
Glad its getting a RCAF livery ! The green Camo or the shark Blue scheme ??

Um...dark grey... :-\

schweinhund227 said:
Awesome job on this.... the photo etch stuff is Wicked !
...how much for the BIG ED ???

I just checked over at Spruebrothers. They have a Big Ed set for a C-130 H or J, approx $60 CAD.
http://store.spruebrothers.com/172-eduard-big-ed-c-130h-c-130j-hercules-pe-super-set-ita-kit-big7235-p13235.aspx

I think I paid about $50 for it. Not entirely sure - I picked it up over a year ago. Building a CC-130 H means that I won't be using all of the exterior details. Like I mentioned earlier, if you were going to build an American C-130 H, most of the set would get used up - some very nice additional details. But I'm really looking forward to trying out the pre-cut masks.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to model the insulation blankets on the inside of the fuselage, from what ever materials I have here at home. Already spent my monthly modelling budget on AM parts for another project. ::)

Jason

Latest posts

Back