1/72 Airfix Albatros DVa

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
So I painted this gloss red because I didn't have flat or semigloss (Tamiya doesn't make semi-gloss apparently, and my local hobbyshop does not sell Acryl anymore -- or so the guy said) and thought I could dull it down with a clear coat of semigloss. I should have known. This has never worked before. Why would it now? If anything, the plane was even SHINIER than before. Then I tried a clear flat coat -- no difference at all.

I realize I am a barbarian who does not use an airbrush. But surely hand brushing should not be ENTIRELY useless. And I have tried thinning the clear coat, and painting with thicker or thinner coats. No difference. What is wrong?

Sorry to rant. But I am more than a little tired of having made dozens of models over the years and still struggling to do no better than your average 10 year old.

What type of paint are you using ? What type of clear are you painting over it ? Are your paints mixed / stirred well ?
Brush painting will take you so far, but the best way to improve is to move to an airbrush if you can .

Chris.

Tamiya paint and Tamiya clear. Both stirred very well. But I have had this same problem with Acryl as well. I try to use the same brand of paint and clear etc. on any given model because I have heard that mixing brands can cause problems (messed up a Zero fighter paint job this way once.) I have tried an airbrush in the past, and with good results. The problem is, they just are not any fun to use. They do give unquestionably better results, but I don't enjoy the process.

Thanks for answering.

Have you tried just spraying a clear semi gloss (from a can) over your current glossy finish? That will knock back the gloss. I'd wait until after you've finished your paint and decals however. I find Tamiya paints hard to apply with a brush.

And hand brushing works fine, if you're careful (and with practice) you can achieve some really nice results. If you're interested - I'll dig around and get you some links to stuff forum members have done that are brush painted.

That being said Chris is totally absolutely right; you can get a finer, smoother finish from an airbrush, still takes a little time and practice for that skill to develop also. But, if you don't have an airbrush, and don't foresee getting one in the near future - break out the brushes. If you're still not happy with the results, how about rattle cans?

J

Thanks for the reply. I may have to use rattle cans after all. Nice of you to offer to get some links. Well, if you ever hear of a site that gives good advice on brush painting that would be very helpful. I do find that most advice has to do with airbrushes.

After hopeless problems with the cabane struts while attempting to attach the upper wing, I smashed the sorry little Albatros with my fist and tossed it in the garbage. This is something I have rarely if ever done before, and feel a bit sorry for the poor thing. But enough is enough. Should I build another biplane I will try Revell. (I have a special affection for the Bristol Fighter after all, about which I have written fictionally.) Interplane and cabane struts are always rather tricky, but these required either four hands or a jig, and I do not have four hands or the patience for a jig. At least I have cleared a project from by backlog of half-built models and dusty shelf queens.

God save thee ancient modeller!
From the fiends that plague thee thus --
Why looks't thou so? -- oh don't you know
I smashed the Albatros

Latest posts

Back