1:72 aircraft

dkev

Up until now I have been doing all my jets in 1:48. But one never has enough space with this hobby. So I am thinking about going down to 1:72. I am just curious if that's the scale plane guys build in or not. Also, I see spruebrothers has a lot of 1:72 Hasegawa models for a decent price. I've built a few 1:48's but I was wondering if there 72's are decent.

Absolutely it is. 1/72 as a scale was established pretty much through aircraft models, and then other subjects were brought out in 1/72. Airfix and Frog pioneered the scale, with Revell taking it up here in the States. It remains very popular, especially for those of us who don't have a lot of space.

When I got back into modeling, I told myself that I wasn't going to build in 1/72, because it's too small, but I find that I've accumulated quite a stash of 1/72 kits. And the smaller size doesn't necessarily mean that you can't see the details. There are a lot of really good kits, and accessories.

I do recommend using an Optivisor, though. It would be nearly impossible for me to work on the Braille scale kits without it.

I haven't abandoned other scales; 1/48 is still my favorite, for aircraft. I have some 1/32 kits, too, but just not enough room to display them when finished.

Hope that helps!

LOL..nm, I looked it up. I actually use a magnifying glass for a lot of detail work.

For me, most of my jets are 1/72 (but do have a few in 1/48) and most of my prop aircraft are 1/48 (but do have a few in 1/72), with a few of my favorites also in 1/32 and 1/24.

Just comes down to the size of the kit. 1/72 F-14 is a manageable size on a shelf, 1/48 and it is getting a little on the big side, then you get to the 1/32 ones and that are massive (you can even buy a 1/18 pre-assembled one, gigantic!)

On the flip side...a 1/72 Bf-109, is almost too small, 1/48 is just about perfect size wise, and even 1/32 doesn't take up that much room, surprisingly about the same as a 1/48 F-14.

1/32 has had a resurgence in the last few years, now we have companies like HK models doing 1/32 B-25s, and a yet to be released 1/32 B-17 and 1/32 Lancaster.....they will be giants!

Funny you should talk about the 1:48 F-14. I just completed Academy's F-14A Sundowner. That is a big plane. Most of my other ones are 50's era fighters so 1:48 is pretty manageable. I also have 2 1:350 scale ST Enterprise models. Don't know what I was thinking. ::)

My very first model was a 1/32 F-14 ;D though it was actually built by my father. I was way too young back then.

It is quite a beast, I can't even imagine one of those big bombers in 1/32 !

I have a 1:72 B-52 in my stash. It was sent to me by mistake. Way too big to even mess with.

I love building in 1:72 (it's my preferred scale). Tons of great subjects. Not a crazy high part count for your typical WW2 fighter or modern jet. Most are reasonably priced. Take a look in the aircraft section, you'll find lots of great builds in the various scales.

Latest posts

Back