1/24 scale brickwork

TiM

Guys,

I'm looking for thoughts on creating 1/24 scale brickwork for a pit garage...

Substrate is blue foam, which I can happily emboss with lines to form shapes of the interior wall which is "breeze block" however the normal 65mm bricks don't look right and the foam texture is too prevalent.

I have various model rail embossed styrene sheets - these are way too small a scale for 1/24 bricks so I need some alternative so my walls look right :-\

You can try a technique I use for 'flat-work' .
To make the face of the wall : Knead up some epoxy and roll it out between two pieces of wax paper to the desired thickness . When it starts to set ( don't leave it in the wax paper too long ,, depending on the brand , the epoxy will stick and tear out small fibers ) scribe the surface detail you want -- then affix this to whatever substrate you want to provide the thickness needed .
http://www.scalehobbyist.com/ is a good source for textured sheetstock

I thought about something similar, however I was trying to avoid the carving / scribing bricks which will take hours for what is actually the background to my model.

You did make me think a bit more, and applying a lateral perspective, I typed 24th scale brick and came up with a mylar stencil and paste stuff used for dolls houses of all things!

So, I've ordered a cheap stencil and some lightweight brick mix stuff to have a go after watching their how to video... ;D

Cool .
Post some pics when you get going

What is the " brick mix "

I've built up a block wall ( 1:20 ) brick by brick for an architectural model before ---looked way cool ---It really did;nt take that long ,,, Lot better than doing it for real in the hot sun lol
you can make lot's of 'bricks' fast with a table saw

Nice ,
I checked out the website -- that's not expensive

Let us know how it performs --- the stencils alone are super versatile

Expected 2-3 days delivery, may be a bit more since it's the weekend.

If it's coloured plaster or similar $10 is a bit expensive, however reading the details it can be re-wetted so it isn't a chemical reaction curing it ... :)

it can be re-wetted so it isn't a chemical reaction curing it ... :)

interesting --- I didn't look at the price of the mix , only the templates .
I need to go back and study their website some more .
They appear to be all 1:12 & 1:24 ,, that must be the 'doll house zone' lol

Up until searching for something, I never knew dolls houses were those scales...

Ideal since I'm making a pit garage background for a 1/24 car and I have just entered the BSC with a 1/12 chopper ;D

Well the parcel has arrived today so I can have a look at making some brick (effects) ;D

Got sidetracked for a day or two, will be giving it a try from tomorrow afternoon over the weekend 8)

... I see you have your safety glasses on .
.... one moment ,, 8) .. . O K
I'm ready
Brick Out !

Latest posts

Back