1/20 GroberHund "ALTAIR"

love your attention to detail on this, the finished article is going to look awesome

great work

Those custom springs look really sharp!

Thanks Cave Dweller. They are still fairly visible when the entire kit is built. I think they'll add to the finished product

love your attention to detail on this, the finished article is going to look awesome

great work

Thanks Leighbo. I'm hopeful the final build turns out well. I'm trying a fair number of new things with this one.

That looks fantastic!

Thanks ModelMakerMike!

Hi guys,

I experimented with some texturing tonight. This is the final step before blasting this thing with paint. I'm using Mr. Surfacer 1000 stippled in in a very random manner. After it's dry, I lightly sand the surface with some fine grit sandpaper. I think it gives a reasonable cast texture. If not a cast texture, it keeps it from looking like plastic! :) I'm also trying to keep a smooth(er) surface on some parts - those that might not be a casted piece - for variety.

Looks ugly and random now but should improve with primer (I hope):

2013BSC_56_zps9d83958e.jpg

2013BSC_57_zpsd4018a0b.jpg

2013BSC_58_zps70c4463d.jpg

2013BSC_59_zps748756d7.jpg

Thanks Grendels!

Two nights of texturing yields a mottled patch-work of surface enhancements. This kit isn't small so it took longer than expected. Doesn't it always, though? Anyway, this Ma.K is ready for primer. Hopefully, that can start before the weekend!

2013BSC_60_zps432e993c.jpg

2013BSC_61_zps252602de.jpg

2013BSC_62_zps75532c5a.jpg

2013BSC_63_zpsf4d62f38.jpg

I couldn't resist a couple more weld beads: ;D
2013BSC_64_zpsa29ea84e.jpg

The texturing looks great, CG. I'm going to steal that technique for my next MaK, an AFS in action ;D

Sweet texturing, and here's a video I found of the groberhund in action, not that different from your Altair

Thanks man! Cool video, too. Thanks for sharing that.

Nice work.

Thanks Java!

The texturing looks great, CG. I'm going to steal that technique for my next MaK, an AFS in action

Thanks Baron. I tried Tamiya putty too but opted for the Mr. Surfacer - it was much quicker and more in-scale (IMHO).

Thanks OldHammer!

Great work!Thumbs up!

Thanks Solander!

Painting has commenced! So far, I've airbrushed a base coat of XF-69 (for dark shadows) and a slightly lighter shade of a Panzer-type gray. I'll let this sit overnight, put the major assemblies together, and spraying highlights and camo patterns. I'm going to try a color modulation on this one. We'll see how it goes....

2013BSC_65_zps271ede49.jpg

2013BSC_66_zpsd86267d1.jpg

2013BSC_67_zps6929336c.jpg

This is coming toghether nicely. You SciFi guys are really inspiring!
Cheers,
Gudio

PS.: (A word from the German guy): The letter "ß" is and old sign for a hissing "s". If you don't have a "ß" on your keyboard, please use "ss" instead of a capital B. "Großer Hund" means "Big Dog" or "Great Hound", if you like. "GroBer Hund" would translate into "Rude Dog", "Rough Dog", or even "Clumsy Dog" in a certain sense. I think the latter are far less appealing! ;D

Thanks for the great feedback guys! It's much appreciated.

PS.: (A word from the German guy): The letter "ß" is and old sign for a hissing "s". If you don't have a "ß" on your keyboard, please use "ss" instead of a capital B. "Großer Hund" means "Big Dog" or "Great Hound", if you like. "GroBer Hund" would translate into "Rude Dog", "Rough Dog", or even "Clumsy Dog" in a certain sense. I think the latter are far less appealing!

Great to know - thanks Gudio for the new knowledge! I agree, "Big Dog" is much more appealing than "Clumsy Dog" :D

I'm not getting much bench time this week. Boo. What little time I did get I used to lay down the primary base color, shadows, highlights, and general monotone color disruption. The photo lamps (for the picture) brighten the base color quite a bit. It's darker under normal lighting. It's still nothing super exciting yet but it's the start. Dark gray is a bear to make interesting by itself. Panzer tank modelers likely have some tricks up their sleeves.

Next up will be a light gray-to-off white camo pattern. I'm also contemplating airbrushing a unique pattern on the back - something different than the norm. In the meantime, let me know what you think!

2013BSC_68_zps70547c87.jpg

2013BSC_69_zpsc03d11ac.jpg

2013BSC_70_zps2889d742.jpg

2013BSC_71_zpsafff3233.jpg

2013BSC_72_zpsd8f0dd23.jpg

2013BSC_73_zps7c51c319.jpg

Latest posts

Back