1/20 GroberHund "ALTAIR"

Groberhunds are my favorites as well as krote's ;),cool work especially the springs,looking forward to it's finish.

Excellent job on the shock, CG, it looks better than the kit part. Well played! Just like a MaK vet ;D

Unbelievably good!

Thanks Ian. Although your photography tips contribute to a better end product, I say! :)

Groberhunds are my favorites as well as krote's ,cool work especially the springs,looking forward to it's finish.

Thanks Java.

You are doing some excellent craftsmanship here.

Thanks ModelMakerMike!

VERY cool!

Thanks John!

Thanks Grendels!

Excellent job on the shock, CG, it looks better than the kit part. Well played! Just like a MaK vet

Thanks Baron. I finally got activated on the MaK forum. There are some great builders posting - your praise is much appreciated! :)

Hi Guys,

Updates have been a little slow. BUT - painting did start today. Nothing very exciting to share other than the straight-up coolness of this kit. It's wonderfully complex looking. Even without all the parts attached. :)

I'll get the basecoat and highlights on the Ma.K innards tomorrow for sure. In the meantime:

Very lightly primed:
2013BSC_41_zpsc3f8587e.jpg

Neck minus the scratch built coil over shocks and piping/tubing parts:
2013BSC_42_zps632613ae.jpg

Neck, shoulder, and arm assembly (I love the complexity!):
2013BSC_43_zps2024b887.jpg

Looking sweet, I love all the details on this model and with the extra work you've done it's really going to shine. Any thoughts on color scheme?

Thanks Cave Dweller. I'm thinking about a panzer camo and winter white wash. I like the depth created by all the layers. It may be good contrast with the dark steel mechanical innards. I also like the hand painted look. I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to attempt it though..

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind feedback!

Quick paint update. I got the base coat on the mechanics. Simple so far -

1. Base coat. Tamiya XF-69 (Nato Black) thinned 40/60 paint/isopropyl alcohol
2. Light overspray, kind of like you would on a pre-shade. XF-69 lightened w/ Tamiya XF-80 (Royal Light Gray); same ratio
3. Vallejo Model Colors Satin Varnish thinned 50/50 varnish/tap water

Next, I'll hand paint details in preparation for the weathering. Two of the more interesting pieces:

2013BSC_45_zps12047a33.jpg

2013BSC_46_zps0ff4b280.jpg

Nice progress, CG! I like your color selection and how the coats have come out.

It is a cool kit. How'd you like to fight your way through a city ruin, round a corner, and find one of those bad boys waiting for you? I'd fry my servos hopping backwards to find cover.

Thank you Baron! My servos feel fried from the pressure of this contest deadline. ;)

Detail paint is just about complete. Next up is chipping then weathering with AK Interactive's Engine and Metal Weathering products. I've never used them before, so we'll see what happens....

Again, some of the more interesting pieces in picture. Tomorrow I'll try to complete the shocks and get all the loose bits and pieces attached - then post an update.

2013BSC_48_zpseb89b677.jpg

2013BSC_49_zps5def47d7.jpg

2013BSC_50_zpsb94b5508.jpg

2013BSC_51_zpsc9cb0c74.jpg

2013BSC_52_zps3f65338f.jpg

2013BSC_53_zps920db828.jpg

That looks great! The metal color really looks good against the black/gray of the pieces.

I should add, I like using Tamiya's NATO Black, too, for black, because it looks better in scale than straight black does. Certainly for large areas.

Thanks guys!

Putting the shocks together and getting them set took longer than expected. But they're done and in place. I'm glad I took the time to build them - I think they add a lot to the final look.

Next, final construction of the torso, perhaps some surface texture experiments, then it's ready for paint!

2013BSC_54_zps07a6d1c5.jpg

2013BSC_55_zps6d035c3d.jpg

Latest posts

Back