Zimmerit question for an Armor Building Newb!

i may be kind of late, but you could use bondo sealer, make sure you mix it with a teeny... bit of the hardner so it doesn't dry fast, and you can get the look of that anti magnetic coating by working the shape of the anti magnetic coating into the bondo! in fact bondo in the can dry i find almost like very hard rubber easy to sand rubber ish stuff, so you could even carve your design in. and no it does not hurt the plastic, i have used Bondo many times... i have used it on the Jug, i have used it on the Ella P-40 Warhawk, i have used it on the Ace Of Spades MKII Spitfire, i have used it even on the FW-190D-9!

schweinhund227 said:
The other solution would be to put your kit on Ebay and get the newer Dragon kit with Zim...!

Would make the build go a whole lot faster... But again! You are nit me! lol.

Take care.

To tell you the truth, I have thought of that. But I may go another route with that kit, I will either build it OOB and not do the Zimmerit, or I will see about making this a mid production model. I like the Jagdpanther a lot because its featured so prominently in an online multi player FPS I used to play and if I can make a decent representation of the vehicle in the game, Ill be happy. I dont care at this point if it's a show piece or not, but If I can learn a few more armor modeling tricks along the way, all the better.

There is NO shame in doing the model OOB! Even more so, if trying to duplicate a fictual or real machine!

The hobby is for fun! Right? If you can't have fun? No point in continuing!

Looking forward to see your progress on this and many share some shots from
Your concept paint scheme! To let see your favorite Panzer Hunter!

Best of luck! And happy modeling!

Norm.

schweinhund227 said:
There is shame in doing the model OOB! Even more so, if trying to duplicate a fictual or real machine!

The hobby is for fun! Right? If you can't have fun? No point in continuing!

Looking forward to see your progress on this and many share some shots from
Your concept paint scheme! To let see your favorite Panzer Hunter!

Best of luck! And happy modeling!

Norm.

I'm with you, Schweinhund. There's far too much emphasis put upon getting everything exactly correct and not enough put upon enjoying yourself while also developing your skills.

So, Carsenault, dive in and have fun. If memory serves, the early Jagdpanthers had a waffle-pattern zimmerit coating factory applied to them so the needle method would work if you don't want to shell out for stamps. I've seen good results achieved by pushing down the ridges made by the needles with some old t-shirt material - this imparts a bit of uniform surface texture to the zimmerit. Just make a few practice runs on some scrap plastic first. There are a few different "official" waffle patterns so who can say which is perfect...
zimmerit.png

Latest posts

Back