Zimmerit question for an Armor Building Newb!

Carsenault

Hey all, I've been building models for years, but I have never ever tackled an armor kit before. I have recently aquiered a few AFV kits including a Dragon early Jagdpanther kit. Its the older kit though that needs to have zimmerit applied, is there any methods that you would suggest to do zimmerit with, or any sites that show how toos. I am considering using thin styrene sheet cut to shape and scribing the pattern into it. What are your thoughts?

Carsenault said:
Hey all, I've been building models for years, but I have never ever tackled an armor kit before. I have recently aquiered a few AFV kits including a Dragon early Jagdpanther kit. Its the older kit though that needs to have zimmerit applied, is there any methods that you would suggest to do zimmerit with, or any sites that show how toos. I am considering using thin styrene sheet cut to shape and scribing the pattern into it. What are your thoughts?

That'll work but might take a while. You can always use putty. Spread a thin layer on the surface where the zimmerit would go and let it dry for an hour then use a tool (or you can buy one) and imprint the zimmerit into it.

There are a couple of ways to do it:

Using putty or Spackle as mentioned, there is a TAMIYA made set of zimmerit tools to help you out in 1/35 scale, In 1/16 I used a razor saw blade. You can also make a stamp for a waffle patter zimmerit effect.

A second method is to use a pyrograve, This is found at woodburning areas. This takes practice and a penalty for error is great.

Lastly, is to use sheets of Zimmerit ready made by Cavalier these run around $20 a sheet.

This sounds familiar--did I see this question from you somewhere else already? ;)

Try using putty and a razor saw. That was Shep Paine's tip to us, back in the day, in the old "Tips on Building Dioramas" brochures in Monogram's armor kits. He used spackle, too, back in the day. Apply the putty/spackle to the surface, then use the razor to make the rows/lines. Use the tip to do the vertical lines, and then hold the blade vertically and drag the teeth through the modeling mass to make the horizontal rows. It works pretty well, and what I like best is that it's frugal--you probably already have a razor saw and putty, so you don't have to shell out for Tamiya's purpose-made, single-use tool kit.

Hope that helps!
Brad

Jeep said:
...A second method is to use a pyrograve, This is found at woodburning areas. This takes practice and a penalty for error is great...

Now I know that I answered this somewhere else, because I mentioned in that answer that I picked up a Nichimo 1/35 King Tiger in my club's raffle, which someone had done up that way. It actually looks pretty good, and I think I will only need to run some Mr Surfacer, or some Sqaudron putty dissolved in acetone, to knock down some of the sharper detail a little.

the Baron said:
This sounds familiar--did I see this question from you somewhere else already? ;)

Try using putty and a razor saw. That was Shep Paine's tip to us, back in the day, in the old "Tips on Building Dioramas" brochures in Monogram's armor kits. He used spackle, too, back in the day. Apply the putty/spackle to the surface, then use the razor to make the rows/lines. Use the tip to do the vertical lines, and then hold the blade vertically and drag the teeth through the modeling mass to make the horizontal rows. It works pretty well, and what I like best is that it's frugal--you probably already have a razor saw and putty, so you don't have to shell out for Tamiya's purpose-made, single-use tool kit.

Hope that helps!
Brad

Gday, I dont think I've asked this before directly, then again, I dont remember much these days. Must be the liquid glue.

The pattern I am after for the Jagdpanther is more of a tile pattern, should be fairly straight forwards. I think I will try the puty technique and see how that goes.

Great videos btw, very informative even if I couldnt understand a word. A picture is worth a thousand words though. Thanks for posting

Wow this is turning into a popular topic. I brought this up Saturday I think. My Japanese is a little rusty but this guys application is pretty straight forward. A little too linear and tidy though. I think I am used to seeing more of a waffle pattern. After looking at a few pictures I would definately knock it down break some off after drying. You know that stuff took a beating. Funny thing I googled zimmerit and there is about one real picture to ten models with zimmerit on them.

Carsenault said:
the Baron said:

Hope that helps!
Brad

Gday, I dont think I've asked this before directly, then again, I dont remember much these days. Must be the liquid glue.

The pattern I am after for the Jagdpanther is more of a tile pattern, should be fairly straight forwards. I think I will try the puty technique and see how that goes.

Great videos btw, very informative even if I couldnt understand a word. A picture is worth a thousand words though. Thanks for posting

Hey there Charlie,

You would be looking for the "waffle" pattern zim if it looks like tile. There are stamp sets, AFV Club makes a nice tool that has 2 wheels (2 different sets of zim) as well as the ends of the tool make the waffle pattern. I believe ScottG bought one for the KingTiger he was going to do, if you asked nicely, I am sure he would take a picture and post what the tool looks like. It runs about $14 for the tool.

Alternatively, I can also get the Cavalier set for that kit for $22.00

..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5Ccl114.jpg

I have thought about those aftermarket zimmerit kits Scott, but I think I would liek to try th old fasion way. Here is the pattern I am looking to do...

124898967_57cea2a5c0.jpg

We were over at Paul's place last night, and Paul suggested I use Squadron white putty thinned with rubbing alcohol to to the zimemrit with, sounds pretty easy. Ill have to pick up a tube.

Alternately, did any early Jagdpanthers not have the zimmerit applied?

Don't know about Jagdpanthers without Zim.....but I don't think so, which I think is why Dragon redid their early Jagdpanther with the molded on Zim.

Alcohol with Squadron White? Haven't heard of that one. Squadron Green or White with liquid cement works, and alcohol may work, hadn't heard that one.

My sense of deja vu should be called deja FSM--here's the one I was thinking of, in case it might be useful to you:

http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/130482.aspx

Good for you for deciding on trying the old-school scratchbuilder's method, I think it's always better to try it yourself, if it's possible to do so, just to see how it goes.

I still think the ATAK stuff rules !!! they give you the parts like the Rear Glacis or other Hard to cover items... already done up !!! the thin sheets of Zim are easy to tackle and the results speaks for themselves...
DSC07038_resize.jpg

I don't doubt your abilities to duplicate it the old fashion way ! I hate to hear you were not satisfied with the results....

Zim is peculiar to the Kind of tanks ! Year and Month of production ! Just make sure you apply the right Pattern to the right Vehicle ! Read a whole lot about it !

and Good luck ! there is a lot of good suggestions here.... but since I touched Atak Zim ! I won't go back ! messy putty and lots of heartaches kind of Killed it for me !

You are not me ! so .. keep us updated on your progresses !

I found this pic.
He used 3 sweing needles beween 2 pieces of plastic.
needles are 2.5mm apart.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ohh, that looks nice too.

Well, I still have the LAV-AT on the bench so it will be a while before I get a chance to start the Jag, looking forward to it though.

The other solution would be to put your kit on Ebay and get the newer Dragon kit with Zim...!

Would make the build go a whole lot faster... But again! You are nit me! lol.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back