Wiring Car Engines

Junkie

Trying to add plug wires to a 1/25 engine and I'm stuck.

How on earth do you guys wire engines? The distributor cap is sooo tiny. Drill the distributor cap? - use heat shrink to make a new D-Cap? What do you use to simulate the larger end at the plug?

:mad: Can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Hi Scott, you can buy the pre-wired distributors in 1/25th buddy, these come with everything attached and the plug leads in various colours, you also get a solenoid and the rubber boots for the ends of the plug leads................the site is over here in England but he`s a great guy, i think they work out at £5.50 plus P&P, don`t know what that is in dollars..................if ya need the site addy let me know fella.... ;D

`Boots`

http://www.model-cars.org.uk/ this is the one me and Chris use Scott, he has them in Black. Yellow, Red and Blue...................you can always drop Andy an E-mail and find out the situation regarding price and shipment............HTH bud

Just had a thought..................i take it it is for a V8????

`Boots`

Hiya Scott ...wiring engines eh !!
Yes ,I would normally drill holes where the sparkplugs go and if using the kit dizzy I would drill it too , I also cut a small boot and slip it over the wire so it looks like the plug cap and the cap for the dizzy end . If you cant drill the dizzy you could try using super glue ...fix the boot onto the lead then glue on to the dizzy, but bend your lead as close to shape as possible first so you dont have to pull at it too much. On the plug end ,slip the wire into the hole ,then slide the boot down to touch the engine .
If you're really stuck ,you can buy pre wired dizzy's , you could try somewhere like www.detailmaster.com ,they're in the States .

If Im making leads myself ,I use telephone wire that has a solid wire . I strip the casing and use the wire as the lead ,then use the casing to make the boots for either end . With the wire being solid it will stay in whatever shape you bend it too ,which helps make the leads look more realistic .
If you need anymore help ,please feel free to ask buddy .

Chris.

I just fixed the link to Detail master ,so it will take you to the correct place ::)

Chris.

V8 - yup. Gonna try the tele wire.
Thanks for the tips!

- - Just 'acquired' some telephone wire. Solid copper core. Red, Yellow, Green and Black. Should do the trick.

Your friendly ECH also carries the distributor kits. Use to carry the Parts By Parks brand, but my supplier stopped carrying them so I switched to Detail Master. In the end...they were the same price, but allows you to wire a distributor for 4, 6, or 8 cylinder, as well gives you some extra photo-etch pieces like wire looms and such.

Sorry ECH , didnt realize you stocked that stuff ::)

Chris.

The pre-wired definitely makes life easier on the distributor. A pin vise does the trick on the engine block. My fave is the Parts by Parks pre-wired distributor. It also comes with the ignition coil. I usually buy them from scaledreams.com.

I used to carry the Parts By Parks ones, but my supplier dropped them.

Personally I like the Detail Master ones better, as there are more options. The included coil in the PbP ones is a non-issue as it can easily be scratchbuilt.

Latest posts

Back