How to make dents in a car body?

Cave_Dweller

So, I've actually been wanting to try something different from the Sci fi stuff I usually favor. I bought a GMC plow truck and I really wanted to beat it up. I was thinking a dented, beat up, corroded body would look good.

Not sure how to achieve this effect. I was thinking tin foil perhaps? Like, cutting out a patch, and gluing on some tin foil bent to the desired amount. But that would be easily damaged on its own. I guess you'd need some kind of epoxy or tough glue, maybe gorilla glue as backing?

Any tips on this kind of effect? Thanks!

I've heated the plastic and with light taps can give some nice dents just be careful not to melt it though.

I've also read that putting the parts in boiling water softens the plastic as well and gives you the chance to mold it the way you want the plastic to look. Never tried it but did once plan to do a accident scene from a NASCAR race and still have this in my "project to do list".

Scott 8)

Ok those are good tips. I guess with heat it would be tricky to get authentic looking dents, and not just simply bend/melt the plasic. Definitely risky.

I guess for small, superficial dents you could score or slice off bits of plastic with a hobby knife, but that would be subtle. For bigger dents this is gonna be tricky

With the plastic softened by the heat/boiling water, you could use various tools or items to make authentic dents from the article I read.

Scott

A few years back I read an article on line on how a guy produced excellent dents in his model cars. He might have used a soldering iron and pushed the styrene in spots to give the illusion of damage. Any blistering on the plastic he would sand off and you'd be left with a depression with some angles in it. I'll have to research that one again, it was an interesting read.

Latest posts

Back