Wiring for LED's

The gauge of wire depends up on the current and not anything else. LED's don't draw a lot of current, so I wouldn't worry about the gauge of wire you want to use.

On the diorama I am working on, I use a very small magnet wire. It is about the width of a human hair. I would not go that small unless you really need to. Wires of that size are very hard to solder.....

anything you like, equipment wire comes in various sized down to 32 awg and multi strand or solid core. Or, scavenge phone wire, bell wire etc. for free. 8)

When you start using 100 LED's then you need to worry. But for a few and batteries, just use what you want. It won't matter.

thanks a lot u guys! that helps. With the led's i ran in that 1/100 scale gundam kit i used the smalles gauge electrical wire the home depot had that comes on the massive ral and it was too thick. Where i work we have 25' phone cables raining down from the ceiling so i'll try that

One small thing to bear in mind - phone wire is multi-strand so won't necessarily hold a bend if you want to keep wiring in a certain position, it flexes.
Single strand equipment wire is cheap as chips on e-bay, I got a pack of several colours, 5m of each + 10m black & red 26 gauge for about £4.

The phone wire is ~0,5mm conductor diameter when twisted, solid core is available in 0,2mm 0,4mm 0,6mm etc.

Latest posts

Back