[WIP] Revell (5526) 1/48 - Dornier Do217 E-4

Jeep

Between repairing and finishing my A1 skyraider and wanting a break from tanks. I started look at a plane, then I visited this thread and could not resist getting in on this group build. I Just "won" on ebay a Revell 5526 1/48 Dornier Do217 E-4 model kit. Which entered service in 1940 as Germany's heavy bomber. I will start as soon as it arrives.

Edit: It came today:

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

Awesome! Glad to have ya aboard!

Glad to have you joining us Jeep.

My build is going to be paused for at least another week. My holidays start this Friday and I'm going hiking... ;D After that I'm free and clear to finish 'em off.

Normally I spray acrylics but I have a box of long forgotten Model master enamels that I picked up when the local hobby town went out of business last year. :O most of these are "proper" RLM numbers for my Dornier, BUT I seem to be missing some. My google fu is also week so, I have RLM #s 02,04.24,61,62,65,71,73,74,75,78,79&80 my dilemma is this: I am not nearly as history savvy with German WW2 aircraft and paint schemes. In addition, I only have my current stocks of Model master, Tamiya color, Citadel, p3 and some vallejo paints. I have not been able to source a local supply for tamiya color or MM since hobby town went out. I do not want to mail order paint unless there is NO choice. I need a paint scheme and I am coming up dry, anyone have any suggestions.

Edit: my google fu is still weak but I did come up with this at least: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcambg_6.htm

but this is NOT the earlier period I wish to model.

Just mix some paints and eye the color off of some photos. :) I hate doing that myself but in a pinch I kinda wing it. lol

I agree with DK. Just make sure you mix up a little more than you think you need just in case. I've run short of custom colours in the past, and when I had to do touch ups on the model I just could not get an exact colour match.

This is the scheme I decided to go with RLM 70 and 71 above and RLM 65 underneath.

According to this site 3.2 The L.Dv 521/1 "Behandlungs - and Anwendungsvorschrift für Flugzeuglacke" Teil 1, Motorflugzeuge, November 1941 (Treatment - and Application Order of Aircraft Paints, Part 1, Powered Aircraft)]http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/do335camomu_1.htm] 3.2 The L.Dv 521/1 "Behandlungs - and Anwendungsvorschrift für Flugzeuglacke" Teil 1, Motorflugzeuge, November 1941 (Treatment - and Application Order of Aircraft Paints, Part 1, Powered Aircraft) Bomber and transport aircraft were painted RLM 65 (HELLBLAU , LIGHT BLUE, FS26329) underneath. I have some model master RLM 65, but I found that Tamiya XK23 light blue matches it exactly when I put a swatch down on my painting table next to each and over black and white patch's. With this information I primed my sprues in Tamiya color tonight.

If I was working normally I could just go to this site jps models which sells correct RLM colors as identified by a color analysis from real paint chips. Alas that is not a option.

I just need to find matches for:

RLM 70 SCHWARZGRÃœN BLACK-GREEN 34052
RLM 71 DUNKELGRÃœN DARK GREEN 34079

I am referencing this AWESOME RLM list RLM- FS color list cross referencing this post RLM Colour Representations

According to this site the mixing ratios for tamiya color to make RLM shades is on this chart

RLM 71 = 3 parts. XF-2 / 6 parts XF-62 / 2 parts. XF-58

Then this Color comparison Chart says XF13 or straight XF 58 is equivalent to RLM 71.

Now this site Internet Modeler [url=http://has this chart. ] has this chart.

70 Black Olive Camouflage, Props 34052 Y 6015

or mix it up some RLM 70 according to this site IPMSSTOCKHOLM but there is said to be inconsistencies with this chart, put no one have ever said what is disagreeable. sigh.

1*T:XF-62 + 1*T:XF-49 (T:XF-27, T:XF-13)

Although I vaguely remember a article which said that JA Green was a close match, Anyway, As you can tell, I have been researching RLM paint tonight.

OH and this IS A fantastic conversion chart

Haha, it's an adventure when you try and mix paint for the right color too! All part of the fun I say. You seem on the right track!

This article is awesome, http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2002/11/stuff_eng_profile_luftwaffe_bomber_camo.htm

The search for proper paint continues. I drove to HistoriCon in Valley Forge, PA just in hopes to pick up proper paint. 'Con was worth it, no paint to be found.

I did get to try out a GREX airbrush at the con, I am working on a post on airbrushes so look for that in the future. The GRX compressor really impressed me, it was quiet and produced even pressures up to 40.lbs on demand. Now back to mixing paint.

I was gonna get a Grex Compressor. The Smartjet was my second choice. I was looking at this model: http://www.dickblick.com/products/grex-18-hp-portable-piston-air-compressor/

If you get it, let me know how it works out.

Haha funny story on how I settled on the Smartjet...

When I went to Dick Blick over in Hollywood, they had it but it was packaged with one of their trigger airbrushes and costs way more. At the time I was itching for an air compressor and I already had an airbrush. My Co2 tank was almost empty and didn't want to refill it if I was getting a compressor soon. So looking around they had a Sprintjet which was not the second choice. So searching fruitfully they have a Smartjet stacked on top of the upper shelf.

I fetched a gal to grab it for me so I can make sure it's the right one. It was sealed so I was looking on the outside and the she said, "If you want, you can check inside." I shrugged and she opened it for me. It looked good then after a few moments of flirting, I asked her if they just sold the Grex compressor and not a package deal. So after having her going through the computer for a few minutes with more addendum flirting, she said they had one over at the Santa Monica store. She could order it and I can come pick it up later but I might not be able to get the sale price if I do that (I didn't even know it was on sale). She suggested she can call them to hold it and I can run over to the Santa Monica store.

Of course I wanted it that day to paint some models and I also wanted to get home before traffic and getting to Santa Monica and back from from there, I would hit major traffic since 5pm was coming up. Not to mention I've already grabbed a bunch of other stuff to buy. So I told her to check out my stuff and I'll just grab this Smartjet. So more flirting as she rings up the little stuff and she asked if I got the in store membership card. I said nope because I usually shop online at their website. She said the in-store membership card gets me 10% off all items and they are running another 10% discount that month for new members.

Hey, discounts! So I filled out the application and more flirting ensued. Then she smiled and said, "Since the Compressor is open box, I can discount it for you for 10%." with an added sly wink.

After all is said and done, I grabbed my bag o' goodies, gave her a wink and said, "Thanks beautiful and if you weren't married, I'd take you out to dinner." and she blushed and laughed (spotted the ring when said flirtation first ensued). Gotta leave with something memorable right? I'll be going back again to that store no doubt.

So I walked out with a Smartjet for around $160. Moral of the story, flipping on the friendly flirtation switch can go a long way. lol

I decided that I did not have nearly enough information to make a educated decision on how to proceed with this model. In the course my web searching I read a article that mentioned Machael Ullmann's expertise in the subject referencing original documents and paint chips! While looking around for more, I found that he wrote this most excellent book.

Luckily enough I found one on a discount rack. Seriously, if you ever intend to ever model WW2 German aircraft this HAS to be on your shelf. Not the least of which because it includes a RAL paint chip card!

Initially I was going to paint my model off this:

But on page 8 of the mentioned book, Jackpot, The Luftwaffe regulation painting diagram in RAL 65, 72 and 73, for a do 217 no less!

With this wealth of information I broke out the Paache VL and went to town.

I have made a couple of boo boos and miss masked a couple of things so I need to go back and re spray some of the RAL 65 under the wings. OOPS

I have noticed that the RAL 72 and 73 does NOT have a lot of contrast between them. I may go back and re mix some of my colors not only for a better match on the card but for a slightly better contrast.

I am so excited about this book that I may go digging through my pile O modles, I think there is a Me 262 in there.

The plot thickens, RAL 65 light blue to us non-Germans, had two shades, The 1938 shade was more blue, I ended up miking my Tamiya light blue (which fall right between RAL 65 and RAL 76 in shade) with asome Tamiya medium blue to match my paint chips and re applied, During the Battle of Brittan the early war colors were recognized as as unsuitable. Changes in German camo lacquers (they were all lacquer based and strictly regulated) Ral 65 in 1941 changed as a result (closer in shade to RAL 76, this new RAL 65 is very close to Tamiya light blue right from the bottle (its a shade light but with scale effect it is very close) Good news for you Bf109 modelers is a LOT of experimentation was done to find the best new paint scheme, you have some license in color and pattern. However bombers and transports tended to keep the early war schemes much longer.

Last night I finished the cockpit, Spraying it in Tamiya flat black, then a light coat of Tamiya NATO black follwed by dark grey and German grey drybrush,, then I did some lining in Citadel Codex grey and a dry brush in boltgun metal (heavy) and lightly with chainmail. Then I picked some colors like the throttles with blood red and applies a heavy coat of badab black wash to tone it all down. The cockpit is tiny with limited viability, in addition cockpit regulations were for RAL 22 Schwarz (black) or "panzer grey" I doubt anyone will see the lack of dials on my gauges!

Gaahhhh!, I have been having some fitting issues with the engines and wings. At cost of my pre assembly paint job I have filled, shimmed files, sanded and puttied it to assembled (at least that step anyway) I recommend that if anyone else builds this kit, attach the engine nacelles to the lower wings BEFORE you assemble the lower and upper wing haves. The fit here is tight and effects the fit to not only the wings but the fuselage as well. Anyway, Its coming along slow.

GO jeep go! Go jeep go! Bringing in the crunch time GB Cheerleaders now to cheer ya on!

gallery1.jpg

Yes, yes, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders... when it's crunch time, I gotta call in the favors.

DreamKnight said:
GO jeep go! Go jeep go! Bringing in the crunch time GB Cheerleaders now to cheer ya on!

gallery1.jpg

Yes, yes, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders... when it's crunch time, I gotta call in the favors.

So distracting...
I mean - Go Jeep!

Latest posts

Back