[WIP] Revell (5526) 1/48 - Dornier Do217 E-4

Between infrequent shifts at work and my mothers recent illness. Work on this plane has slowed down some. But I am hoping to finish it up here shortly. I think I have masked and airbrushed this silly splinter paint scheme a dozen times now, Even now I need to go back and spray some RAL 73 around the nose and engines (AGAIN!) because I forgot to mask part of the scheme off (AGAIN!!@@@) anyway here is some progress, I think my mixed up RAL 72 and RAL 73 are in the neighborhood.

Looking good!

Yeh, I had the some problem on my Messer. It kinda messes with the way you mask on a say a camo or a 2 or 3 tone scheme doesn't it?

Jeep said:
I think I have masked and airbrushed this silly splinter paint scheme a dozen times now,

Dude, I did the splinter on my 410 so many times. I feel your pain. Great work so far! Keep at it!

I put a future application on and a oil paint wash, and managed to soften the paint wear my hand was holding it. Instead of airbrushing it AGAIN! I elected to fix it with a sanding stick and a paintbrush. It is coming a long otherwise, working on the clear canopies and details now.

Landing gear and started the window glazing, The destruction of all my pre-painting continues. Not looking real good right now, Like something I put together in 5th grade actually.

Totally forgot to spray the rear landing bay doors blue and the landing gear bay doors in the engines don't match up since the colors where mixed at different times, DOH!

I am think this build is going to be a exercise in hiding mistakes.

Edit: 21:35

finished assembly and touched up some of the paintwork with a brush, It looked kinda of patchy even though I used the exact same paint. A sooty black coat of oil paint wash should tie everything back together though, Waiting for that to dry and then its off to spray some Future over it again in prep for decals. I am ok with the sooty dirt looking finish, these planes would have flown through the smoke of the burning cities.

2 coats of Future applied with my Paache H A second oil paint panel line wash follwed by another coat of Future, Then decals with a health application of Dio Sol. Now to wait awhile and apply yet another coat or two of future then some weathering. I applied my decals to the marking regulations and photo references in in my copy of Luftwaffe Colors, the directions did not match these so I went with what I knew to be true. I will probably have this build done by the weekend.

Well I think its to a decent level of completion, here are some quick shots of the project.

It got the a fore mentioned two coats of FUTURE and a coat of dull coat, followed by some MIG powders around the landing gear, Fuselage rear and near the cockpit as shown by a reference photo, these planes actually got pretty muddy! I was surprised too. My plane is weathered much lighter than the reference photos though.

Latest posts

Back