Where to start, building.

Little Jimbo

Hello
I am thinking about transferring from miniature model painting, warhammer ect. to some scale models so i guess this is the place to be.

So i have a few question that i hope you all can help me answer to help me start on the right foot in this hobby.

My main interest is Armor and sci-fi, so the first question is: what is a good stater kit within these categories, not to expensive and not to complex or to simple. As I am hoping to develop my building skills first, painting can come later.

What is the most essencial tools needed, like what type of glue is use and are there other tools that you feel is a absolute must have, I already have cutters and blades for fine plastic work.

Feel free to add anything that you thing i need to know.

Best Regards
Daniel

Hello Daniel! That sounds great that you wish to broaden out into other genres. I know there will be plenty of suggestion to follow from many more of the HERD here. But I can throw my 2 cents in I guess.

I would say if you wanted to branch into armor, I would shoot for pretty much anything Tamaya or even some Trumpeter kits. The costs (some places) are real low and the part counts are not as high as some Bronco and Dragon Kits. Don't worry about being 100% accurate to start. This can slow down a project and your interest will be lost. Find something you like and build it!! Having Fun with a project makes up about 80% of the build and the other 20% should be....of yeah, Fun!! LOL!!

With that done...I would say that any of the THIN glues...Tamiya, Thinex, MEK (safer version) will work very nice. You may want to pick up some CA ....Super Glue too! Can be handy on some small parts as the regular Solvent based glues fuse...melt the parts together. When the pices are too small, they can sometimes just melt.

A good cutting mat, snading sticks, needle files and a micro drill bit set and pin vise. After that its small tools you either have or will pick up with in time.

You are on the right path it seems iif you have done some Warhammer stuff, it just applying thse skills to building and painting a kit. Keep asking the question and keep building...the rest falls into place!!

Good luck!! ;)

The Zvezda line of armor is pretty decent for a starter. MY first complete armor build was the T-90. Lots of parts and the box was a little intimidating, but went together like butter and the detail was top notch. Tamiya also makes a stellar quality kit that goes together easily. Revell and AMT tend to have the older moulds and require alot more afterwork to get the thing up to snuff, or even to fit together at all.

Good Luck on deciding!

the Zvezda T90 is there best kit because it new the older armor stuff wouldn't suit a new modeler, Tamiya is best suited to a beginner, Trumpeter would be a step up in parts count and detail but also easy enough to build, Hobbyboss would be someplace in between i think.

some good pointed tweezers for brass parts is a must, blue-tac is always handy or similar.

cant help on Scifi as ive no interest in that area of modeling, Plenty here who can help tough :D

Just started scale myself.....working on a Revell WWII aircraft and it's gone fairly smoothly. Not too much reworking the parts for a decent fit. I've not tried any of the other brands but will be branching out over the next couple months to check one out.

Thanks for all the replys.
What is a good scale to start with 1/35 ?

On the The glues:
TRM said:
With that done...I would say that any of the THIN glues...Tamiya, Thinex, MEK (safer version) will work very nice. You may want to pick up some CA ....Super Glue too! Can be handy on some small parts as the regular Solvent based glues fuse...melt the parts together. When the pices are too small, they can sometimes just melt.
is there any special kind of glue applicators that is shall look for ?
Can someone please explain a bit further about CA or super glue, it is the same thing and what brands shut ill go for. The super glue I know from Denmark where I live and that is easy to get your hand on wont work for modeling at is is to thick.

Dose anyone know good online shops for Zvezda and Tamiya kit, that are based in Europe. As taxes makes it quite expensive for me to order from outside Europe.

Regards
Daniel

Hello Daniel!!!

Easy one..... CA (Cyanoacrylate) is just a generic name for basically super glue. You do not need anything fancy by all means. Yes the local stuff is thicker than some hobby specific types. There are several types and they come in thin to thick vicosity. You can certainly pick up a small tube from a local hardware shop or home center as when and if you will use it at this time will be limited. But everyone is a little different in where and when they use the stuff.

As for applicators, I don't prefer to spend the extra money on these. Some love them, but I use a toothpick or tiny pieces of small gauge wire to apply. Remember, less is more.

There are several European Based hobby shops....I will leave that to the UK boys to chimein with as they might know which is better.

Personally, 1/35 is great to start with.

Latest posts

Back