What WWII armor should I look into???

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
I was looking for a highly detailed and very accurate half track, tank or something of the sort. Something that has alot of PE kits available would be nice too. I'm looking to work out my new folding station. I prefer German military because of the diversity, but if the suggestions are unique I will build it :)

Links if possible brethren :)

Dragon kits are very well detailed and have plenty of pe, tamiya are pretty good but far too easy, I've never built a tristar kit so can't comment on them.

As for what kit.. Too many choices just grab what you think will enjoy building

Most Tristar kits are very well detailed and very accurate, but they can sometimes be tricky to build with a lot of small parts and separate hull pieces similar to many AFV Club kits (which is another recommendation from me.)

Dragon kits are very well detailed, but aren't always the most accurate with little issues here and there. Be careful in purchasing the orange box kits by Dragon/Cyber Hobby as many of them are reboxings of older kits like the ~1/50 Fujimi Panzer III. Also avoid the Dragon 1/35 M-10. It may look new in the new box, but it's old and a bit of a bear.

Unfortunately both Tristar and Dragon kits suffer from poor instructions so make sure to read over them several times before even starting. Also look up build logs and reviews as they will often address mistakes in the instructions.

More recommendations for WWII era armor are Bronco and Tasca. Both produce very detailed and usually very accurate kits. The Tasca Shermans are the best Shermans out there.

TBadger said:
I was looking for a highly detailed and very accurate half track, tank or something of the sort. Something that has alot of PE kits available would be nice too. I'm looking to work out my new folding station. I prefer German military because of the diversity, but if the suggestions are unique I will build it :)

Links if possible brethren :)

Lots of the more recent released kits from Miniart, Dragon, Bronco etc. all come with frets of photo etch, why not simply start with one of them?

All too often I see modelers burden themselves with uber PE kits, which after the initial excitement wears off, get frustrated and never finish the build. I think if you start 'small' and truly love it, then you can always purchase a huge PE set on the next one, instead of jumping in the deep end and discovering all that brass isn't as much fun as you may have thought.

Just food for thought.

very wise owrds there from Ken. dragon kits come with lots of small little extra pe perfect for the bug you have. All the shiny pe looks great but at times can just get in the way of fun,

So take Kens advise start small. If you want a kit that has lots of small pe to start with the Dragons SU-85M has lotsa small bits to get stuck into,

Hey Badger, Ken has given you some great advice there and you might give that some thought before you leap into PE.
I really enjoy working with PE and seem to have a knack for it but since the model manufactures are getting better at design you don't need to dress up your build as much as in the past.

PE is getting more and more expensive these days and the producers design and package the sets to maximize profits but if you feel like giving PE your best shot would this be enough for you?
100_0209.jpg
Griffon PE set plus what was in the Dragon Brummbar kit

Good Luck with your quest
Tony lee

:eek: Das is alot of PE.....I'm expecting about that much when I finally track down a full LionRoar set for my Yamato. I just really enjoy the intricate works, but I get what you're putting out. I think a Dragon set with some inclded PE would do just fine. Then perhaps I'll get crazy with a BigED Set afterwards. It's a shame that submarines are not that detailed. I'd enjoy building them, but they seem so plain and straightforward.

Lol talk about putting somone of :D start off small and work up dont dive right in on a big ed set, You will find you may need a biger folding tool when it comes to that any how.

Ken Abrams said:
All too often I see modelers burden themselves with uber PE kits, which after the initial excitement wears off, get frustrated and never finish the build. I think if you start 'small' and truly love it, then you can always purchase a huge PE set on the next one, instead of jumping in the deep end and discovering all that brass isn't as much fun as you may have thought.

Just food for thought.

Wasn't me. *whistles innocently*

I would definitely need a larger station to do some larger scale work. My BUG just arrived today and should fare just fine for my Blackhawks BigED PE set. I also did my research , looked at some options and picked up a Dragon Sd.Kfz 251/22 Ausf.D ($35 shipped) I love how it looks in the roadblock build and I'm sure it will broach my entry into WWII modeling dashingly :)

Latest posts

Back