Whadda ya readin'?

Mac

Other than modeling I love a good book or three!
Aside from research, model magazines, and some stuff on line. What do you find in your Library?
Right now I am re-reading Ryan's "A Bridge too Far."
Saturday, Doug Stanton (Wrote; In Harms Way about the USS Indianapolis. Excellent book BTW) and his new book "The Horse Soldiers" will be here signing and talking about it.
I also recommend Warrior Soul by Chuck Pfarrer. (Navy Seal and his adventures).

I'm reading "An island to oneself" by Tom Neale. :)
This book is pure escapism, one man survives two three year sessions on a isolated pacific island, it's curious, and easy reading.
While Tom Neale did what most of us will only ever daydream of doing, his wonderfully told story, full of vivid detail, will transport you to his beloved island and allow you to escape as he did, if only vicariously. I simply love this book, and will read it anytime I feel the need to "get away" from it all. Check it out ;D
Joolz.

I'm reading Tales of Heresy, short stories that ties in with main Horus heresy novels from the Black Library WH40K. And also Wheels of Terror (Fave chapter Close combat in tanks)for the umpteenth time and next will be a 3 books in one about Vikings (gotta love Vikings) After that i may be in the mood for some Black Company again.

blitz

'Fighter Boys' by Patrick Bishop.

Truth is I bought this as a side product from buying his 'Bomber Boys' (yet to start), which in turn I bought to 'humanise' (haven't opened it but rumours suggest it may need this) Arthur Harris' account, 'Bomber Offensive'. Which again I bought after reading the sideswipe in 'Most Secret War' (R.V. Jones) about the Carpet Bombing offensive being a by-product of the low accuracy of the UK targeting equipment...

Goes in funny directions, the research. This one is pretty awesome, and does paint a vivid picture. Would recommend it!

Patrick

Oh, and the Book itself. Couple of chapters a night, got a reading scheme passed to me. Read it in a year, devotional stuff :)

i am not really reading a book but having one read to me...harry potter half-blood prince. love listening to a good story while reading forums and looking up stuff on the internet. but when not doing that i am reading "the survivors club" by ben sherwood

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is a really great read. Several of the main characters have a string of bad luck early on but it is a very immersing book! It is based around the building of (fictional) Kingsbridge Cathedral in 12th century England. You think you got it rough? Walk a mile in the shoes (when they had them) of the main characters. Sheesh! Talk about tough characters!

Kraken Fan #69

I read comic books. Lots and lots and lots of comic books. I like old underground comics from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I also keep up with the new stuff but the older stuff is where its at. Currently I am reading Life in Pictures by Will Eisner. Also currently reading Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr.

I'm reading "Spook Country" by William Gibson. About half way in to it so far, and I can't tell where exactly William is going with this story. His stories tend to be about the near future, information trade, viral advertising, AI's and the like.

Picked up Lord of the Rings a couple of years ago and struggled... wasn't finding it entertaining.

Started "Fellowship of the Ring" last month and am loving it!

I'm reading "Beyond Band of Brothers" by Major Dick Winters. It fills in the blanks around the mini series by HBO. He basically chronologicaly goes from boot camp to the end of the war, and some of what he did after the war. Only 3 chapters in but it's facinating for me to get into his head a bit more.

Ialarmu said:
I'm reading "Beyond Band of Brothers" by Major Dick Winters.

that is one i will have to get. love reading about different areas of WWII. an interesting book i read a while ago was "Baa Baa Black Sheep" by Gregory "Pappy" Boyington.

ent

Shark said:
I like Gibson. I haven't read that one though.

It's a continuation of "Pattern Recognition", with some of the same Blue Ant characters.

Currently working my way towards the back of "Phantom Warriors" by Gary Linderer. It's part 1 of a 2 book set, a collection of short stories describing some of the missions he took part in as a LRRP in Nam.

'Among the Dead Cities' by A.C. Grayling. It's a balanced, sympathetic (I have in-laws involved with the actions concerned so would not tolerate it otherwise) engagement with the question of whether the British and US policy of area bombing in WW2 is morally justifiable.

This is the latest in a series of books on Bomber Command (Deighton, Bishop, Hastings) which have come this way. I look forward to reading Harris himself after this, but it's been a very educational, enlightening and humanitarian ride.

Patrick

Interesting Patrick
I am reading Masters of the Air which is a study on the daylight bombing of Europe by the US.
Underlying implications of the morality of the Generals that ordered so many of our own to their deaths.
It also goes into the terror bombing and how it was "acceptable", though not by Doolittle who raged for many a week against it.

Noted! The Grayling was an excellent, thought provoking read fwiw and I'd unreservedly recommend it.

Now into Neil Sheehan's 'A Bright Shining Lie' - as recommended by several very helpful ARCers - and am intrigued to find in this wonderful book echoes of Bomber Command...in the USAF's hunting for targets to justify their existence in the conflict...

Time to re-read a classic (at least I think it is) "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" Then I'll watch the movie again. ;)

Latest posts

Back