HMS Amethyst Yangste Incident

Laurie

HMS Amethest . Black Swan-class sloop of the Royal Navy.

Amethyst was on her way up the Yangste river in China when set upon by the People's Liberation Army. 1949.

Grounded disabled with many sailors injured or dead.

Commander Kerans was ordered to take charge. He eventually brought her out of the Yangtse one night to as reported to King George "Have rejoined the fleet south of Woosung. No damage. No casualties. God save the King"

King George "splice the main brace".

The film Yangtse Incident. A superb film which follows in dedication the events. Superbly produced. Amythest was used for some parts but Magpie for most a sister ship.

Superb scenes of a Sunderland sea plane landing & taking off. Some great cameos in the film. Probably one of the most realistic films I have seen of true events having read 3 books written by those on board Amethyst

Laurie

Last edited:

Amethyst was on her way up the Yangste river in China when set upon by the People's Liberation Army. 1949.

Commander Kerans was ordered to take charge. He eventually brought her out of the Yangtse one night to as reported to King George "Have rejoined the fleet south of Woosung. No damage. No casualties. God save the King"

The film Yangtse Incident. A superb film which follows in dedication the events. Superbly produced. Amythest was used for some parts but Magpie for most a sister ship.

Superb scenes of a Sunderland sea plane landing & taking off. Some great cameos in the film. Probably one of the most realistic films I have seen of true events having read 3 books written by those on board Amethyst

Laurie

Attachments

• 1692399379447.png
    1692399379447.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 0

Laurie
My father and grandfather knew John Kerans, he lived just a few houses down the street from them. Pantherman

Amazing coincidence. Was he as handsome as Richard Todd ?

Laurie
I would have to ask my uncle as he knew him better than my father. I remember watching the film with my father and he said that he knew John, I think he also said that I am somehow related to him through some far back connection in the family but I would have to ask my uncle if there is any truth in it.

I also have a famous great uncle on my mother's side, Thomas Birmingham. He was one of the master builders who built the biggest telescope of it's time in Parsonstown (Birr) in Offaly, Ireland. It was built by lord Ross.

My grandfather worked on the Birr Castle Estate as a head gardener and part time chauffeur for lord Ross's (above) son.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_091449_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_091449_Google.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 2
Pauline my wife went to bed early last night.

Wow grab the moment : which I did.

After 10 minutes trying to figure how the DVD machine fitted in to the rest of the paraphernalia it worked.

Darn it 30 mins & the picture went fussy. Kearns had just turned up to take charge.
Scientific investigation & found scratches all over the DVD. Something about not putting the DVD back in its box.

2 days & Amazon £8 replacement arrives.

For those who used to watch TV in the 60s. The film team Wilcox Ambler & Anderson turned out TV productions. Those old as I am will remember "Evening All". The London Copper.

Laurie

Laurie

" Not mentioned but HMS Consort 7 HMS London were involved in trying to get Amethyst out of the Yangste. "

not mentioned in the video ?
HMS London and HMS Black Swan are mentioned here @ 1:39
HMS Consort , no

" Not mentioned but HMS Consort 7 HMS London were involved in trying to get Amethyst out of the Yangste. "

not mentioned in the video ?
HMS London and HMS Black Swan are mentioned here @ 1:39
HMS Consort , no

Consort was damaged by artillery fire during the Yangtze Incident in an attempt to tow the sloop Amethyst from a mud bank, taking 56 direct hits, and causing casualties of 23 wounded and a further ten dead.

On leaving the Yangste, after escaping, HMS Consort was spied in the distance by Amethest.
That must have been quite something.

Consort was there to give support if things had turned nasty.

Laurie

Amazing that was omitted from that video !
Yes it is. Lesson I keep learning urumomo.

Make sure the facts are there & the story is complete.
There are something like 6 books written about this
incident. Believe they are all crew members.

Laurie

Latest posts

Back