Went the FREE route to construct this....

TBadger

Demolitions Expert
I decided that with my incoming shipment of a stash's worth of paint, I would need a proper place to store the things that wasnt inside of a window sill shelf I built last March for them to be heated by the sun and chilled by the night. So I went about putting together something to hold my Tamiya, Vallejo, Badger, AK Interactive and other miscellaneous products in one spot.

I used some leftover poplar 1x2's to construct this paint shelf.....I sheared (2) 24" pieces and (6) 36" pieces from the leftovers of an office construct project over a year ago. I stripped some keyhole fasteners from two old plaques that were getting thrown away and routed out some pocketswith my Dremel to install them. 1.5" Wood Screws were used and the joints were reinforced with Titebond III heavy duty wood glue. Remember to pre-drill and countersink all of your hardware to prevent splitting !!!!

image-2356.jpg
This way can be set on a workbench surface
image-2419.jpg
This orientation can be ung on a wall like a typical shelf.

Now, what color should it be painted or should I just urethane it and leave the natural finish ???

* I just went on Lowes website and priced out how much it would cost to put this together if it were to be paid for and with the Wood coming to $15.75 ( you can have it pre cut at the store ) , te screws at $5 for a box of 50, glue at $3 and i'm assuming most would stain the job at another $6 the whole thing can be done for ~$30.....since most have all of these supplies at the ready, I could say that it would cost ~$15 just for the wood *

wow kinda pricy over there for stuff when i built mine it cost me less them €30 and i used 3x2". Still its a Nice unit you got there badger and i have no doubt it wont be teh last one you build :D

Nice TBadger! I built myself a unit about a year and a half ago strictly from freebies and scraps I had on hand (using fir 1x2's, some 1/4" ply sheet and some thin oak cut off strips from a woodshop, that had been sitting in a pile of other "one day I may need these" scraps.

I still have the rack, (currently sitting in the garage) I am working on a new modeling desk, but waiting for the weather to improve a bit (the garage is un-heated) and I keep coming up with new ideas how to handle the doors for this new desk. So until it warms up, and I nail one idea down for the doors, it is on hold awaiting a change in the weather.

newbench.jpg

I should add this unit is basically, 4'w x 3'h x 3&3/4" deep and has two layers to each shelf, and can accommodate, Model Master, Tamiya and Vallejo paints no problem.

Found leftover 1-Step Ebony Gloss finish from making the new work top a few months ago

Unfortunately, it takes forever and a day to fully cure
image-1320.jpg

very cool indeed once I get my hobby room back used as a storage area at the moment I can start getting things organized again. I like those paint holder ideas though.

Finish was cured when I got home, Gorilla hooks and 15 minutes resulted in this!
image-517.jpg

You're correct too spud. Prob won't be building just one....but all subsequent units will wait til after I move back home

Latest posts

Back