Weathering with the hairspray

MK

I'm having a bit of "fun" using the hairspray technique, I'm putting a base colour down then the hairspray, then another colour and then slapping on water and chipping away. My problem is that I'm chipping away through the base colour all too easily.

Is it worth putting a varnish layer over the base to help protect or am I missing something from the method.

Paints used are airbrushed tamiya acrylics.

What worked best for me is this:

Base color AUTO ENAMELS via spray can let that dry and cure for several days. Just because the paint is dry to the touch does not mean it is cured. (if you knew that, sorry, not everyone does)

If you are doing a rust technique apply the turp, oilpaint and dry pigments now. I did dust some matte clear on to help hold pigments in. I waited 20 minutes and then hit the model with hairspray and salt.

Next airbrush on your base color and any camo scheme.

this is where I went wrong, I should have waited a little while longer maybe even overnight. But instead I started knocking the salt and hairspray off right away. It worked but I notices that I would smear my camo coat instead of flaking off. It worked but the technique turns out better if you wait, Wait to long and the paint may be more difficult to remove, I tended to use a brass "tooth"brush or a regular tooth brush as well as some old paintbrushes for this step.

I let the base coat dry for a day, I'll try another sample and leave it longer. Is there a point where the paint/hairspray gets left on for too long and impossible to do the technique with?

What are you chipping it away with? You don't need anything too harsh to chip away the upper layer, actually sometimes a paint brush or qtip will be enough.

Here is a good "how to" by our own Jon Hayward (hope I spelled that right).

Hairspray method

I've tried a few things:-

GW Stippling brush (short nylon bristles) - Too harsh, definately goes through all layers.
Old drybrush with the hair cut down - works better.

I think the bit of wood is going to be as harsh as the stippling brush, but probably i'm going too mad with it.

Honestly, while the results of the hairspray thang do look fantastic when done right, I've been able to get pretty much the same look with either the scrubby or makeup sponge bit technique.

Well, I've had a bit more of a stab at it on a test model that I had spare, It's getting a bit easier to do now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This information was a very big help to me. Also what is that funny little tank in the photos.

MKGraphic

MK that's looking great man. That first pic, the chips around the hatch look killer - very realistic.

I put on base color,let it dry over night.Spray on matte varnish,let it dry over night,put on the hair spray,again let it dry over night,then put on the final coat of what ever color you are going to use.Let that dry for at least a couple hours then,I use a Q tip,tooth pick or what works best.
I will post some pics of my work later.

Looks like your getting it down now.
Depending on the type of chipping effects your going for plays a big role in how you remove it. It's best to apply an enamel base color first, or acrylic with a clear enamel coat over that. If your doing a white wash, then you will have to do some scrubbing after letting the second color dry atleast an hour. For rust effects you have lots of time to do the chipping. I've chipped paint 48 hours later. The trick is to use a lot of water and let it sit longer to soften the paint. Here is the diff between the two methods of chipping. By letting the paint soften, use chip the paint gently, creating the chips and not a worn chipped effect.
The important thing is to let the first base acrylic color cure at least 24 hrs, unless your using enamels.

Hope this helps.

scratchmod
www.scratchmod.com

Ok guys.... I would really like to get going with this technique but !

First ! before I dump Hair spray in my Airbrush I would like to find out HOW to clean it !!! after !

Does Windex with Ammonia good enough??? or will I have to use something Stronger ???

and thanks for telling us.. to Get those undercoats... Really Cured !!! cuz the video sort of moves along...
rather quickly ! so I got the wrong impression !

I hope this will come in handy !

Norm.

OUT !

Back