Vallejo Primer Questions

I have never used any of vallejo paints, but i am wanting to switch to a indoor air brush based primer paint. I think i want to try vallejo's product. I was wondering 2 questions though- 1. does it need to be thinned first? If it does is it alcohol that thins it? 2. I mainly use enamel paints, so would vallejo be a good primer for enamel based paints. Thanks im sure these are newbie questions

You do not need to thin their Acrylic/Urethane blend primers, nor would you want to. They are in fact slightly thinner than the already ready-to-use ModelAir paints and do very well strait from the bottle, even with a .2mm nozzle.

I cant speak for coating them with anything other than Vallejo acrylics though so I'll defer to someone else on that one.

thanks guys, i read another article where i guy said for the last 20 years he has always alternated between acrylic primer and enamel paint and loves the results. I think a sacrificial test is in order... bud glad to know i dont need to thin vallejo's primer

As long as your previous layer of paint (no matter whether it was an acrylic, enamel or lacquer) is fully "CURED", you can put anything you want over it.

The key is the paint must be cured, not just dry. Once it is cured, it is pretty hard to dislodge it.

When it was discovered that something like Castrol Superclean would take paint off of just about anything, it was considered a great product, and alot safer than the alternatives. Vallejo primer is probably one of the brands of paint that it won't take off however.

Your surface has to be clean or dust and oil, and then once your primer is cured, you are good to go with anything else.

Curious though, you say you want to paint in doors, and thus want to go with an acrylic primer, but yet still want to do color coats with enamel? Kind of defeats the purpose of painting inside doesn't it? As enamels are quite smelly, not as bad as lacquers, but still quite bad.

Elm City Hobbies said:
As long as your previous layer of paint (no matter whether it was an acrylic, enamel or lacquer) is fully "CURED", you can put anything you want over it.

The key is the paint must be cured, not just dry. Once it is cured, it is pretty hard to dislodge it.

When it was discovered that something like Castrol Superclean would take paint off of just about anything, it was considered a great product, and alot safer than the alternatives. Vallejo primer is probably one of the brands of paint that it won't take off however.

Your surface has to be clean or dust and oil, and then once your primer is cured, you are good to go with anything else.

Curious though, you say you want to paint in doors, and thus want to go with an acrylic primer, but yet still want to do color coats with enamel? Kind of defeats the purpose of painting inside doesn't it? As enamels are quite smelly, not as bad as lacquers, but still quite bad.

I have a really nice air brush booth that takes care of most fumes. So im not worried about the enamel. The purpose for the acrylic primer isnt to reduce the smell in my case, its just that i need to move on from spray cans since its like 30 degrees outside lol. I just want a easy to use primer. It seems easier to use vallejo since i can just squirt it into my brush. I was also thinking about buying Mr. Surfacer 1200 and its thinner, then compairing

greyphantom1000 said:
I was also thinking about buying Mr. Surfacer 1200 and its thinner, then compairing

If you do, please let us know your thoughts.

greyphantom1000 said:
I have a really nice air brush booth that takes care of most fumes. So im not worried about the enamel. The purpose for the acrylic primer isnt to reduce the smell in my case, its just that i need to move on from spray cans since its like 30 degrees outside lol. I just want a easy to use primer. It seems easier to use vallejo since i can just squirt it into my brush. I was also thinking about buying Mr. Surfacer 1200 and its thinner, then compairing

I pre thin the paints I'll be using and obviously the primer as well so it's ready to go when I need it so in that regard it doesn't have to be different than pre thinned primers. Sure it's slightly more convenient to have the paint pre thinned but It's not that hard to do and you can do it in a large batch and not over and over every time you need it , so I see that advantage as marginal. Also Mr color paints and their primer are extremely easy to thin.

Latest posts

Back