vallejo Game Color vs Model Color

DreamKnight

What's the difference? Can't you use Model color to paint miniatures and Game color to paint models?

Game color is in common miniature gaming shades farther there tends to be a middle tone a highlight and a shade for each tone. Model color is for realistic painting, each tone is a match for a full scale paint for historic subjects, Usually it is not adjusted for scale effect of highlight. Aircolor is the same as model and railroad color just pre thinned and strained for airbrushing, it is also so posed to have finner ground paint pigments of higher quality to give better results when airbrushing.

Jeep said:
Game color is in common miniature gaming shades farther there tends to be a middle tone a highlight and a shade for each tone. Model color is for realistic painting, each tone is a match for a full scale paint for historic subjects, Usually it is not adjusted for scale effect of highlight. Aircolor is the same as model and railroad color just pre thinned and strained for airbrushing, it is also so posed to have finner ground paint pigments of higher quality to give better results when airbrushing.

So game and model colours are the same formula, just different colors for marketing purposes?

Game color has an additive to the paint that makes it a little more resilient so it doesn't rub off through handling.

Other than the specific colors (Elfic Flesh and the like) it is pretty much the same as Model Color, other than that additive. They do have some cool metallics in that line however that aren't available elsewhere. Tinny Tin, Chainmail Silver, Terracota is a nice color also.

All of Vallejo's paints are derived from the same basic formula in that their special solvent-less thinner and other auxiliaries are compatible across the board.

The GameColor is said to have a slightly "tougher" finish in terms of holding up to a lot of handling and knocking around. IMO I think they are essentially the same as ModelColor, except the colors, or rather the names of the colors, cater to the table top gaming crowd. :)

ModelAir of course is quite different in that it is much thinner that the others, and no colors in that line contain hazardous pigments (there are a limited number of ModelColor colors which contain cadmium).

Elm City Hobbies said:
Game color has an additive to the paint that makes it a little more resilient so it doesn't rub off through handling.

Other than the specific colors (Elfic Flesh and the like) it is pretty much the same as Model Color, other than that additive. They do have some cool metallics in that line however that aren't available elsewhere. Tinny Tin, Chainmail Silver, Terracota is a nice color also.

OK so then there isn't much of a loss if I use model colors for my warhammer stuff? Though I'm tempted yet again to get that 72 paint set. lol I keep going back to that. Maybe cause I'm too lazy to "ADD TO CART" all those damn colors. lol

The only real advantage are the different colors.

There seem to be as many, if not more flesh colors in the Game line, and one can never have too many flesh colors. They have some different shades of metallics that are unique to the game line, other than that....it is all the same.

As was said above....the Game line is supposed to have an additive to make the paint more durable....whether they are or not....I don't know.

While I carry a few of them, once the ones I have are gone, I probably won't bring them back in as a regular item, but I can always order them from my suppliers for those that are interested.

The Air line is interesting, and offers a side of convenience in that you don't have to thin them to airbrush, just drop them in the AB and go. Also the line has some colors that either aren't available in the Model Color line, or are just slightly different.

Good example is the German Grey, in the Air line, the German Grey is supposed to be a match for RLM 75 (and much of the air line is geared towards RLM colors) where as the German Grey in the Model Color line is quite a bit darker, and more akin to the German Grey you would find on a Panzer.

Essentially the game color line duplicates all the GW colors, including discontinued ones.

sorien said:
Essentially the game color line duplicates all the GW colors, including discontinued ones.

Most of them are very close but there is some variation that is noticeable when you paint them next to each other, Also Game color does NOT have a drier in it and GW citadel does which is why workshop paint dries out of a pallet so quickly.

Jeep said:
sorien said:

Most of them are very close but there is some variation that is noticeable when you paint them next to each other, Also Game color does NOT have a drier in it and GW citadel does which is why workshop paint dries out of a pallet so quickly.

It's part of GW's conspiracy to make you buy more of their paints. I REALLY think that's how they built their pots as well, dry out the paints faster so you buy more. From what I've seen, that's a common opinion. lol

The newer flip top lids are a LOT better than the older twist tops, but I have some truly ancient citadel paints in the antique "castle" bottles that are still good now, they have to be 15 yrs old. I do like there washes and foundation line, these are fantastic and it is still a great brush paint. But like any paintline, they all have there uses and attributes it just knowing what those are and how they can work for you. Incidentally, the P3 line is made by the same factory that made those ]oldlast for ever citadel colors it is also a great brush paint. We are starting to head off topic, maybe this thread needs to be paint line attributes?

Tamiya: Is my preferred airbrush paint, needs thinned to brush well. limited by colors available and somewhat hard to find.

Modelflex, just got some of this stuff, it airbrushes REALLY well, right from the pot. I really like the convenience.

Model Master enamels, this is a huge line that is actually really well researched for color and shade. It brushes well and airbrushes well, but its a enamel..........

Polly S, this was great while it was in production, it was assimilated into to TESTORS (the borg of model companies?) really hard to find, I hear good things about the ACRYL line but again not well stocked around here.

Floquil made great railroad colors, but its a lacquer, its also old school model tech and its the nemesis of anything plastic.

Jeep said:
The newer flip top lids are a LOT better than the older twist tops, but I have some truly ancient citadel paints in the antique "castle" bottles that are still good now, they have to be 15 yrs old. I do like there washes and foundation line, these are fantastic and it is still a great brush paint.

I always hav etrouble with my twist and flips. Now that I'm jumping into fantasy to play AKE, I went over my citadel paints and they are ALL dry. I reactivated them a year ago and they are DRY already.

The OLD Antique "castle" bottle was when GW was the bomb and they make PRIMO stuff back then. Now... I dunno dude... I just see what they been doing and it wouldn't surprise me if they switch to these pots to deliberately dry out the paint so you buy more. I would have argued that 15 year ago but...

Vallejo..........Acrylic paint, more of a true acrylic as compared to Testors or Tamiya acrylics.

Model Color - 212 colors, geared more towards brush painting, but can be airbrushed, just a steeper learning curve to thin them, as there is no set thinning ratio for the whole line. Good example, White needs much less thinning to airbrush then say Red does, all about the pigments and such that make up the particular color of paint. Lots of military colors, I truly hate it when someone comes into the shop and says I am looking for green, or brown, as there is literally 30 odd different shades of each. Even when brush painting it, best results when you thin it slightly with water....2-1 paint to water is good.

Air Color - 100 colors (soon to be 105), pre-thinned for airbrushing, many, many colors geared towards matching RLM colors, easy to use, drop in your airbrush and go.

Game Color - 100 colors, same formula as the Model Color, with an additive so they wear a little better on figures.

Panzer Aces - 48 colors most specifically geared for WWII figure painters. Same formula as the Model Color paints.

Pigments - 16 colors, Matt Glaze/medium and Sandy Paste.

Various other products that can be used to make dirt, water, terrain, etc.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Vallejo..........Acrylic paint, more of a true acrylic as compared to Testors or Tamiya acrylics.

I hate you though. Asking you all these questions, I decided to get a couple of bottles from you and I tried them out and I love them. I just went and bought more for the Fantasy Warhammer army (substituted the game colours for model colors if there were one). I got like 23 bottles, Retarder and their matte. I'd order form you but I kinda need the stuff fast and get painting. Only got less than two weeks now. LOL Once I complete my Vallejo take over I'll probably get rid of my Tamiya's. Once they come in I get to toss my Citadels! *Happy Dance* La Revolution GW!

No biggie....I mean I could put them on Priority, charge you twice as much for shipping, and get there a day sooner......oh how I love Canada Post................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Elm City Hobbies said:
No biggie....I mean I could put them on Priority, charge you twice as much for shipping, and get there a day sooner......oh how I love Canada Post................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Haha yeh I know but I had to go for the $75 free shipping from Miniatures Market. lol And it's almost here. How comes you don't used FedEx? Is it expensive from Canada? Cause Phill is using FedEx from UK and it surprised the hell out of me when I got an order from him in two days from the UK.

Yeah, as pricey as Canada Post is, Fed Ex and UPS are even more so.

2 days from the UK via Fed Ex....couldn't have been cheap either!

Elm City Hobbies said:
Yeah, as pricey as Canada Post is, Fed Ex and UPS are even more so.

2 days from the UK via Fed Ex....couldn't have been cheap either!

I dunno dude... that's the thing:

Orders from £1.00 to £15.00 are £1.50 anywhere
Orders From £15.00 to £30.00 are £3.50 anywhere
Orders over £30.00 free shipping anywhere.

That seems cheap to me? That's what's odd.

Back