VA Earthquake

KeiserSoze

Anyone else feel the effects of this one? I've dealt with hurricanes and tornadoes a lot in my life, but this is my first earthquake. Well, technically second. There was a small 3.something a couple years ago epicentered about 2 miles from my house. But that one just made one loud boom and it was done. Kinda felt like a small car crashed in front of my house.

This one shook the windows a bit. Thought the washing machine was off balance at first before I realized it wasn't on.

My father in law lives about 40 miles from the epicenter and was out in his yard when it hit. He said he could feel the shockwave actually ripple through the ground like he was on a surfboard.

Didnt feel it here, but it was felt strong enough to evacuate some office buildings 90 miles away. This tremor was felt over a very large area, from the Carolinas, to Ontario and Easter Canada. Hoping its not the harbinger of the big one they have been predicting for a while.

Yeah, we felt it here in Fredericton, NB, Canada. Apparently most of downtown sits on a clay bed, which transmits seismic waves fairly easy. Swayed a few of the taller buildings downtown, but we felt nothing up the hill as the rest of this city sits on bedrock.

Seismic waves are very interesting. We felt it here, yet Moncton felt nothing...was felt as far north as Sudbury, ON, as well as Markham and Toronto, ON, yet a friend of mine in Ohio felt nothing. And now I read on Armorama, that someone in Wisconsin (west of Ohio) felt it.

This is the 2nd time in about a year they have felt an earthquake downtown.

2012.....believe it! LOL

Just a little shaken :eek: up here. ;D seriously lasted about 10 seconds and was sort of violent, by east coast standards anyway.

Latest posts

Back