USS Texas BB-35 1/350

That's one big kit. Should keep you busy for a couple of hours....... like it. Pantherman
At least 45 min. Or possibly 3 months.
I ordered a battleship grey paint and in person it's fairly a darker blue grey, which is the proper color for when she was in the Pacific Theater. If the new grey I ordered for the European Theater doesn't look good enough, then Pacific Theater it will be.

As she is out of dry dock I noticed they did not paint her waterlines red and black. The bottom of the hull and waterline are all black. So, that is how mine will be painted.

424560658_10220178838900466_1094790877885861670_n-1.jpg

Last edited:
I Grew up (1st-3rd grade SE & 4-12 W) in Houston, as a lad I used to visit the old girl a few times per year.

I do not know your age, but back then a kid could man the smaller guns, for sure I recall the multiple-barreled 20mm. I think I could also manipulate the smaller ones, maybe the 5-inchers? Some 40mm Bofors? (I cannot say too much for certain)

But several years later, I think late 1990s I went there and saw everything roped off, welded shut, or just rusted. I had relatives on the BB-39 on 12/7/41 who grew up with yards of Chester Nimitz, and as a 5th gen Texan, I have donated happily to the restoration fund of BB-35!

I do not think I have the patience or the eyes to do a battleship.

I Grew up (1st-3rd grade SE & 4-12 W) in Houston, as a lad I used to visit the old girl a few times per year.

I do not know your age, but back then a kid could man the smaller guns, for sure I recall the multiple-barreled 20mm. I think I could also manipulate the smaller ones, maybe the 5-inchers? Some 40mm Bofors? (I cannot say too much for certain)

But several years later, I think late 1990s I went there and saw everything roped off, welded shut, or just rusted. I had relatives on the BB-39 on 12/7/41 who grew up with yards of Chester Nimitz, and as a 5th gen Texan, I have donated happily to the restoration fund of BB-35!

I do not think I have the patience or the eyes to do a battleship.
I'm nearing the 6 0 mark. The last time visited the ship I found out my girlfriend at the time was claustrophobic, so we toured the deck instead.
Really looking forward to walking the halls and the deck as soon as I can.
I think they should have restored the Nimitz house instead of it being a gift shop.
I did go through the Nimitz museum. That was impressive. I never knew how large the Japanese midget sub was.

I'm nearing the 6 0 mark. The last time visited the ship I found out my girlfriend at the time was claustrophobic, so we toured the deck instead.
Really looking forward to walking the halls and the deck as soon as I can.
I think they should have restored the Nimitz house instead of it being a gift shop.
I did go through the Nimitz museum. That was impressive. I never knew how large the Japanese midget sub was.
Nice! I went to the USS Nautilus submarine museum in Connecticut years ago. I would have wanted to go on USS Intrepid carrier in NYC when I went to Ellis Island years ago.

I got the rudder installed at the 15°.
Captain Charles Baker steered her in her then permanent berth at the San Jancinto Monument, and the rudder has remained in this position since 1948.
In the words of her last captain, Charles Baker, “Her wars are over, she has won the right to rest peacefully in Texas waters.”

20240528_013702.jpg

Last edited:
I've never come across this, but the PE sheets are covered in a protective plastic film that has to be removed.

20240528_124057.jpg

Latest posts

Back