Using bottled inks

RocketSilo

Today at the craft store I saw a set of different colored artist inks in the clearance section.
the package was partially open but the contents were fine.
I started to grab it but wasn't sure what to use them for , tho I know modelers use them.

can you guys school me on uses for inks?
thanks

Inks can be used for washes, but I think any varnish applied over them will cause them to run.

awsome vid, i would lve to be able to paint figures like that, there bloody awsome,

The Vallejo Inks from the Game Color line are the same as what they are marketing for Washes in the Model Color line. Same colors, same make up. They work very well.

do any of the pros here use "inks"?
I did a little research and found that there are both "opaque" and "transparent" inks
also acrylic is only one type of ink
and as many products there are variations in quality(good vs cheap).
I had no idea that "ink" is a broad category as it is ..

thanks for the video panzerace.. that guy is awesome !.. I watched some of his other vids and he knows his stuff !

if anything I found a new channel to learn something from !I am probably the worst brush painter in this forum,,picked up some great tips from that channel

I tried some art store acrylic inks a while back and didn't like them at all. Cant recall the brand. They just didn't "behave" in terms of getting into recesses and panel lines and such. Other brands may well be completely different though.

I think I was one of the first to ask Elm for GameColor Inks (before they came out with the ModelColor Washes) and have been using them ever since for my washes and panel lining. I like to cut them with a bit of Glaze Medium so that the effect is not so strong, flows better (less chance of tide marks), and longer cure time (ie time to fix mistakes).

8) Great Info guys.... I am always looking for Cool New Products like that.... to make my life easier...

I will look in getting some.. to try out !

Later !

Sort of along the same subject...well maybe not...I just starting laying Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Markers (black mostly) into tight detail pieces and then using a brush to feather the ink into harder to reach corners. If it's down too dark you can wipe away small amounts with a cotton swab or wipe it off altogether if the swab is wet enough. I've been doing this on top of acrylics so I can't advise over other mediums. The effect gives a real nice shadow, defines corners, and can add a grimy look to landing gear hydraulics. Used with some of the other colors in the set and you can produce grease stains and other effects. This dry marker/pen technique offers 100% control of the ink. But as good as this is I will still use a pastel wash for the truly deep down bowels of Hades areas.
That's my 2 cents...and I'm stickin' with it.

Latest posts

Back