Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-19/Shenyang J-6 PAF

what is needed for those Decals..?? color involved ???

do you have a file with the designs....

I'm sure you can send that to someone... either here or some guy with a ALPS printer ??? 8)

I think I could grab one of these (still available, unlike the j-6 set) which would give me a good chunk of what I need...and then try to piece together what's left in Illustrator.

Anyways, at least I've got some other stuff to have a go at while I wait.

After comparing the two, if I get that F-104 set the only major thing I'll be missing from that and what came in the Trumpeter box is the nice stripe over the spine:

screenshot20110616at112.png

Which...I could probably paint if I'm really careful.

I'm going to have to be patient waiting for these decals because the postal service in on strike here too although by the sound of it they'll be back to work soon enough courtesy of our meddling government :p

No, but...well it's a long story. I wanted to clean up some sections of the camo pattern, but paint started coming up with the masking tape. Since I had time to burn, and I think the paint choice turned out too dark in comparison to reference photos anyway, I just sanded it down and started again with some white rattle-can primer. So I get to have another go at painting it, I've got lots of time to wait for my decals, why not experiment a bit?

Hodges said:
I've got lots of time to wait for my decals, why not experiment a bit?

Best way to learn what works best for you. Looking forward to your re-paint update...

JMac

All repainted!

img1044hi.jpg

I did some pre-shading but I think I lost it under the paint...

I also have some touching up to do, see the sloppiness around the dark section of the tail.

I can't wait to get my decals. After I get those down I'll be able to start weathering, and make this thing look nice and grimy like the one in the photo above...that'll be time for a lot more experimentation!

Thanks guys! Ya, Q I like the hard-edge camo of the two-seater better than the single so that's what I was going for:

05.jpg

Mysteriously, the decals that I had tried to order and thought were no longer available, arrived at my doorstep. That means I don't have to try and fiddle around with the F-104 replacements, and best of all, I can finally get on with it!

img1053cn.jpg

Next up is testor's enamel dull cote, and definitely some washes/filters to dull out those bright decals. Also, in that photo it looks like one of the roundels isn't sitting down, but everything turned out great eventually.

Thanks Q! It's okay, I'm not all that happy with the finish in terms of some of the textures I got on the thing, But it was my first time every suing an airbrush, first time ever trying to properly prime a model and everything, and I made a fair amount of mistakes. But hey, I've been having fun, the goal is completion, and I'll apply these lessons to the next thing!

Latest posts

Back