Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-19/Shenyang J-6 PAF

Hodges

This is my first properly ambitious project. I found the kit at my little local hobby shop, and according to the internet, it's supposed to be a joy to build.

img0941si.jpg

All of the options that come with the kit are for bare-metal-finish planes, but I don't think I'm good enough to pull that off very well yet. Instead, I'm going to build the Chinese Shenyang J-6 kit option, but as seen in the service of the Pakistani Air Force:

06.jpg

05.jpg

To do this, of course, I need some new decals. Luckily, I found 'em.

This is my first 1/48 aircraft, so wish me luck!

Very cool.. I agree with TL.. Call me wi3rd..but I think the multi-gray camo's absolutely rock... I almost picked up that Eduard MiG-21MF today just because of the Polish scheme...

And it'll be a great way to start learning to use the airbrush I plan on buying in the coming weeks!

Here's a PAF J-6 in the foreground during an attack on a Pakistani military base that happened today:

a684e01d7d.jpg

Progress! I'm just about done the cockpit now.

scaled.php

scaled.php

I used some Tamiya masking tape for seatbelts and I think it turned out alright.

img0965xr.jpg

I didn't get it quite right, but light blue is standard for migs (and according to the Trumpeter callouts, the Chinese copies as well).

Here's a 21:

140px-MiG-21_cockpit.jpg

I'm not sure if it's still the same for the PAF J-6's but I like it and I'm not all about accuracy quite yet :p

Nice progress so far Hodges.
I've never understood why they use such an odd color for the cockpit.. OK...well...odd to me at least.

I'm sure they're thinking we (U.S.) are wi3rd for naming most of our combat jets after animals..and parts of animals. ???

Has Testors ever released that color in any form? I remember a while back I had to paint the avionics area of an F-15C (The area behind the seat) and I wished they had at least that color...just so I could start somewhere.Since then the Bay 5 area on most current -15's are painted white when going through referbishment.So....problem solved! ;D

Afterburner said:
I've never understood why they use such an odd color for the cockpit.. OK...well...odd to me at least.

17994_1087383275.jpg

This is a J-6 cockpit from a museum in China.

Both the Soviets and Americans looked into interior colors for their fighting vehicles (AFV and aircraft) and the colors you see are based on that research which reduces stress. I have heard Pink does wonders but I have yet to see that color in any fighting vehicle!

The US used a Sea Foam color for the interior of many AFVs, the Soviets chose light blue-green and the color varies based on the design bureau or production batch.

While you may not be interested in the super accuracy, I will post this for others. Note that the Pakistanis used Martin Baker Mk. 10L ejection seats (PKD10 variant) on their F-6.

Click the image to go to a site about painting ejection seats.

Regards,

sharkmouth said:
Afterburner said:

Both the Soviets and Americans looked into interior colors for their fighting vehicles (AFV and aircraft) and the colors you see are based on that research which reduces stress.

Very interesting to know..thanks for taking the time to share! I learned something new today..and didn't have to hurt myself to achieve it! :p

Hi Hodges

Thats some good work your doing.Bye the Bye is that local shop Johns Hobbies I ask you that because of the price sticker looks like one of theirs if so we frequent the same shop.I saw that kit there and said ya now I should get it went back and well its gone.

If this is the case its a small world. ;D

XXXNITRO

That's exactly right Nitro! It is a very small world indeed.

And hey thanks for all the info and feedback guys, this is a great learning process. Here's where I'm at now:

e5e214ecad.jpg

I went and took the plunge on an airbrush so I'm very excited to get on to the next step which I think will be a good coat of primer to highlight some surface and finish defects.

I'll definitely be back with more soon.

I got a paasche talon. I like it a lot. It's dual action and gravity feed and it's got this great feature (I think) for novices like me called an autostop which I can adjust to limit the distance I can pull back on the trigger, so I don't accidentally end up with a huge pile of paint where all I wanted was a little :p. Also, all I got for now is a can of propellant, not a compressor or anything yet.

I got all set up tonight to prime the thing but I guess I didn't thin the Mr. Surfacer 1200 enough and I got 'cobwebs' everywhere and a bunch of gunk in the airbrush. Lesson learned.

Hey all so I have a little update: I've done most of the PAF camo scheme for the J-6, and I'm having fun doing it. Since it's so simple, I had a go at doing it freestyle (mostly).

img1011v.jpg

(That little nub is just the combination of tape and liquid mask I used to protect the open part of the cockpit)

I used some white tac to get this part looking right.
img1012vo.jpg

Just a little left and then I'll seal it with some future.

I'm not sure what to do with this...the store with those PAF decals hasn't responded to me and I can't find them anywhere else. I'd print my own, but my printer sucks.

Latest posts

Back