Trees

Trev

Hi all just a question for you. Have been watching Luke Towan on YouTube, and he just seems to be able to go into the countryside and find really good plants/roots for making trees. Wondering if anyone out there can suggest something in this country that would make a good natural choice for making trees. If that's not a silly question Regards Trevor

Hi all just a question for you. Have been watching Luke Towan on YouTube, and he just seems to be able to go into the countryside and find really good plants/roots for making trees. Wondering if anyone out there can suggest something in this country that would make a good natural choice for making trees. If that's not a silly question Regards Trevor
Hi Trevor, not looked for tree's...yet but 1/35 scale logs I was after for a couple of builds were made from clematis branches.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220327_172435.jpg
    20220327_172435.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220505_175223.jpg
    20220505_175223.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220505_175425.jpg
    20220505_175425.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 3
Here is pretty good one for making trees from panicle hydrangea also known as peegee hydrangeas or hardy hydrangeas

and while not from plants, these ones from common cheap green scrubbing pads are pretty good as well, especially as back filler trees if you need lots of ones to save the more detailed trees for the front

And growing your own "Seafoam" trees aka teloxys aristata

Last edited:
Hi thanks for replying. Pantherman I have used in past round dowling and used a metal brush to rough it up then soak in watered-down black or brown acrylic paint keep dipping until you get desired shade. Thanks for advise about seafoam trees and will look into the plants suggested I have used seafoam but wanted thicker trunks and attach foam as branches Cheers all Trev

Sorry Pantherman I have read your post better now and see you were advising clematis sorry for confusion but if you can't get hold of these then the dowling is a good substitute cheers Trev

I haven't made full trees yet, but for shrubs and bushes, I use the dried roots from evergreens that I've had to dig out in my back yard. For foliage, I use old tea leaves. I drink a lot of black tea, in bags. So for a while, I saved the bags after use, let them dry, and cut them open to retrieve the leaves. I have a big jar full of old tea leaves. I'll take a piece of root, dab a little white glue on the tips of the branches, and sprinkle some tea leaves over that. I'll also put a little glue on a base and scatter the tea over it, for generic leaf matter on the ground.

Here's an example from a while back:
Puchala-Jagerfront.jpg

Also, for leaves in scale, I recommend punches like the ones Green Stuff World makes:
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/101-leaf-punches

I have several of the medium punches, to cover 54mm/1/32 scale. You can use colored paper or real leaves as the material to punch out.

There are manufacturers who make leaves in scale, but I like to make my own.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brad

Latest posts

Back