TIGER I MID-PRODUCTION

Added the camo to the turret. Now I can add the spare tracks and finish it up. Here's some pictures of last nights work.

Terry 8)

DSC08031.jpg

DSC08032.jpg

DSC08033.jpg

DSC08034.jpg

DSC08035.jpg

hmm the colour seam different between the second to last picture and the others. The pictures show a pretty strong yellow cast.

I like the camo. Was that freehand ?

Ravhin said:
hmm the colour seam different between the second to last picture and the others. The pictures show a pretty strong yellow cast.

I like the camo. Was that freehand ?

It's the lighting.

Yes it is freehand

Terry 8)

Nice job Terry! I Had a lot of fun doing mine. Can't wait to see yours finished.

i was was thinking wtf is he on until i saw the proper pic, :D Camo looks fantastic Terry

Well I was off work yesterday so I went to work on the hull. I wanted to get the base paint, preliminary washing and shading, and camo done. First I had finish adding the hull parts which included the engine deck grills and all the tools. I had to add a few little details like some brackets and the electrical conduit for the headlight. With this done the painting can begin. I don't know if this is a painting sbs or not because I kinda do things until the model looks good to me, however I use technics that anybody can use. I will try and explain what I'm doing and what paint I'm using so hang on and we'll see if we can get through this.

First thing was to apply the base coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. I did this in two stages while putting the hull parts to make sure everything is painted completely.
DSC08038.jpg

DSC08039.jpg

DSC08040.jpg

DSC08041.jpg

Next I applied an oil wash of Windsor & Newton Olive Green thinned with mineral spirits. I use olive green because I want to make the shadow darker shade of the yellow and it will tone down the brightness of the yellow.
DSC08043.jpg

DSC08044.jpg

Now most will stop here. Let the wash dry and get out the dry brush and call it done, however I'm not done. My next step is to highlight areas with Dark Yellow with about 4 drops of Flat Yellow and 3 drops of Flat White. Start thin and work your work way up.
DSC08045.jpg

DSC08046.jpg

I put the turret on to show where we are headed.
DSC08047.jpg

DSC08048.jpg

Next I applied the same highlight color with a brush to the tops of certain parts to add even more highlight.
DSC08049.jpg

Then guess what? I put on another olive green wash except this time I blotted the wash off with dry cloth.
DSC08050.jpg

DSC08051.jpg

Next I did some dry brushing with Windsor & Newton Flake White to bring up the detail. After that a coat of Future was applied to seal up the work so far.
DSC08053.jpg

DSC08054.jpg

DSC08055.jpg

DSC08056.jpg

Next more highlight with even a lighter shade of the previous highlight color.
DSC08057.jpg

DSC08058.jpg

DSC08059.jpg

DSC08060.jpg

If you were doing just a dark yellow tank you would stop at this point and your next steps would be dry brushing, detailing, and then weathering. However we're not done yet. Next I added the camo which is Tamiya Nato Green.
DSC08061.jpg

DSC08062.jpg

DSC08063.jpg

After adding the Nato Green I applied a coat of Future to seal the paint. When this dries I put on a very thin oil wash of Windsor & Newton Mars Black and Burnt Sienna. When this dries I highlight the colors (dark yellow and nato green). Now you can see the hull now matches the turret.
DSC08065.jpg

DSC08066.jpg

DSC08067.jpg

DSC08068.jpg

DSC08069.jpg

Now the detailing, chipping, and weathering can begin. I hope this will give some insight into my painting process. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Terry 8)

geegad said:
Looks amazing T the colours look spot on :eek:

Thanks!!! At least the hull and the turret look like they match. It would look funky if they didn't.

8)

Great detailed write up Terry. I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks for all the hard work 8)

Latest posts

Back