The Philosophy of the Stash

Yeah, have to agree with most of what John said.

Of course owning a hobby shop doesn't help, because now I don't have to pay retail or Ebay prices for what I want.

My own personal stash I think is in the 700 kit range. Which is large, but not as large as a few people I know. One guys has probably over double that. One guy in the Moncton club said he stopped counting at 3000, and that was 4-5 years ago, and he only builds automotive subjects.

My own collection is fairly diverse as I tend to build pretty much anything. But I too have a finite amount of space to store them. The more I buy, the more I have to decide on what to get rid of, because there is only so much space, and when I look at the stash, every kit has a plan for it, so it becomes harder and harder to weed out some of the older kits, to make room for newer ones.

Sometimes it's not hard, for example, for years I had 2-3 versions of the old ESCI T-55 kits. In it's day, it was the best T-55 kit on the market. Then along came the Tamiya kit, but at the time, I couldn't really afford to shell out $60+ for the kit. In the process I did some work for a US aftermarket company, and build a couple of the Tamiya T-55s for them to show off some of their upgrades and conversions, and it burnt me out of building the kit for awhile. Few years down the road, I got one for a decent price, and since I have had the shop open, I have proceeded to get 2 more, as well as a couple of the other different versions that Tamiya makes (Enigma, Ti-67), along with a few Legend upgrade kits to convert the plain jane T-55s to other variants. So now I have long since sold off the ESCI kits, and many other kits that newer better versions had come out over the years.

As far as collecting. Certain vehicles I really like, Challenger and Challenger II, LAV type vehicles, Abrams, lately I have been more into the modern Soviet/Russian armored vehicles, but also have other collections of models like Nascar, probably 50+ different Nascar kits. Ferrari, I think at last count, I probably had 32 or 33 Ferrari kits.

We laugh when we say that it is a "sickness", or an "Addiction" (on this aptly named website), but in reality, to some, (me included) that is probably true.

However, like my wife says, she would much rather have me addicted to this hobby, than if I was out every night at the bars drinking, or getting into trouble. At least with this, she knows where I am, and at the end of a build, I have something to show for it.

Of course with the stash, and the business, I don't build nearly as much as I would like to, and have many kits that are in progress. I know some people will look down on that and say I can't finish what I have started, but I look at it this way. If I start a kit, and loose interest halfway through, rather than force yourself to finish it, likely rush through, and do a less than happy job on it, it is better to box it up for another day, and choose something else that is holding your interest at the moment.

One other thing that I think grows people's stashes a bit (and I am guilty of this) is the box art. A really well done box art will sell the kit, whether or not that kit turns out to be a decent kit to build or not...could be the worst kit in the world to build, but if the box art is killer, it will sell. That is where "cool" factor comes into play.

Ok, didn't intend to write a book here, so I will close it down there! LOL

I guess I could be called a collector if you classify as builder has someone who would be able to build all the kits in their stash but I have more than I could build in a lifetime (unless I retire and build fulltime after winning the lottery) but my philosophy is summed up by a quote from an Extreme song "i aint ever seen a u-haul being towed behind a herse"

Im still young(ish) and we are DINK's (double income no kids) so now is the time to build up the stash for when kids come along and money is tight.
Scale model in general hold their value well so if absolutley nessicary they can be sold or even traded for ammo if there is a zombie apocalypse :D
I have limited myself to 1 cupboard which is actually a double wardrobe (or closet in other parts of the world) and if that gets to overflowing I know its time for a cleanout of the kits I dont ever see myself building.

I'll buy a kit and say to myself, look: just do a quick build on this one. Cut out a block of time for yourself and just blitz it. Finish it quickly and don't be too perfectionist about it. When it's done, the logjam will be broken and you can build more kits more quickly. But to look at it this way is to see all this as a kind of job or duty, which makes no sense.

What do you mean stach building is an obsession !! ;D

AcornHeaven.png

I've had a stash upwards of 100 kits and as little as 30. I have no problem selling off stuff that has lost it's appeal to me. I consider it a working collection - as in every kit is meant to be built. I try not to buy many...but I fail at that sometimes.

Of course I won't finish every kit - but when I'm long gone my kids can have them, or sell them, or whatever. It's only plastic.

My stash is currently sitting at about 120-130 kits. At my current build rate that's about 10-11 years worth. My wife and I have agreed that my stash is limited to a single set of shelves and a storage space under my bench, if those locations are full of boxes, I generally won't buy. Lately I've given away some kits to make room - mostly ship models, I build mainly aircraft and the occasional sci-fi. I tend to agree with most of the earlier comments. I often jokingly call my stash an addiction, but I tend to view it in a more positive light. It definitely says something about me as a person, my interests, and really represents my own personal space in a home I share with four other fantastic people. I enjoy the time I spend selecting or building a kit from it. Friends and family who visit our house often come down stairs to see my progress on my lastest build, or to check if the stash has grown. My stash is located right next to bench, which is in the same room as my kids XBox and my wife's sewing stuff, so I tend to talk and visit with them as I build and they do their own activities. And sort of related to the stash is for me is the feeling of compleation, and the chance to select something new from the stash, get started on a new, better build ( or as is often my case finish off something already started ::) ).

But the stash does grow from time to time. For me there are two impulses for adding to the stash, the first is the "coolness" factor of a potential new build, the second is the "nostalgia" factor. If it's a kit I had or reminders me of a fond childhood memory I tend to buy, as I mentioned in another recent thread.

I really suffer from the "OH SHINY!!!!!!" syndrome. Coupled with the attention-span of a goldfish, I tend to buy way more than I build.

Of course, the fact that I now travel back and forth across the country to get to work doesn't help at all as I don't have the evenings to work on stuff. So my work-pace has slowed way down.

There's also an element of fear. When I finally graduated and started making money I bought some big expensive kits that I had wanted for a very long time. Only to realize that I simply don't have the skills to finish these kits to the quality that they deserve. So now they're stashed, waiting for the time where I finally gather up the courage needed to build them.

I've never counted mine up. It fits inside a bedroom closet (only takes about half of it up, give or take).

I was on an Ebay tear there for a few years, my MO being to snatch up kits whose auctions were almost ending and I could get cheap (though it DID backfire at least once - I got a Zvezda Su-27 for $0.99, not noticing it was in Russia... I wound up paying almost $20 shipping on a $0.99 purchase ::)). I also buy a couple every year at the IPMS/USA Seattle Spring Show. So I'm really only plunking down about $20 or so a year on stashing.

While I have just enough self-awareness to realize this MIGHT be hollow justification, I feel like I'm investing in my future leisure time. My build speed is slower than my stash is big, but I'm 37, on active duty, running half marathons, and starting grad school. Down the road, I won't be near that busy and I'll have plenty of models to keep me occupied, almost all of which I got on the cheap.

I think my stash is small mabe 50 kits. if i had more room i doubt i would have much more as i think some peoples stashes are crazy and this put me off going crazy because i dont want to wast too much money when i know its needed for other things.

:)

Yeah I have around 50 kits also, and I'm guilty of loosing interest on a current build and finding interest in a new kit, buying it then before it arrives looking at another one to buy lol

Mine's at around 63 kits, pluss or minus any WIPs, which I'm trying to keep to a minimum

Wow 300-700 kits? Crazy. I have like 10. For me, the kit has to really inspire me. I'm not saying you guys aren't picky or anything. I guess for me I have to be "Holy crap that's awesome!" before I'm interested. Otherwise I just won't be able to commit several weeks to building it. Plus, I think, because I'm pretty new to the hobby so my skills and subject interest are constantly evolving. So keeping a smaller stash is better for me. Not to mention I have a WIP going at all times so it's a challenge just to keep a stock. ;D

Latest posts

Back