The Endor Project - 1st Ever Dio

Clonegurl

Hi

This is the link to the Endor Project:

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p534/Clonegurl/

It took two months to build. I scratch built everything but the models. Please excuse my models, I didn't detail them. I only weathered the AT AT Walker. This is the my first ever dio, my first try at scratch building and only the second time I have actually assembled models. I wasn't kidding when I said I was new to model building :)

A little bit about the dio:

I tried to force the perspective from the Walker end of the dio to give the appearance that the shuttle and platform are a fair distance away. To do this I used thick trees at the walker end of the dio and thinner trees at the shuttle end. I made the trees out of chopsticks (thick trees) and kebab sticks (thin trees) and green clumping moss. I weathered the sticks and then painted them with black poster paint. I think I made approximately 150 trees.

For the forest floor I used lichen which I chopped up into little bits and brown stone. For the shuttle platform I used wood and toilet rolls (lol) for the base.

I enjoyed the process of making Endor but was glad to finish it. It turned out to be a fairly close approximation to what I had wanted to build in my mind's eye. Thanks for having a look.

Some good work there.
Scratchbuilding's not an easy thing. But you seem to have handled it nicely

Great scratch work on the diorama! Very impressive and a great show piece for a room.

Very cool idea as well.

The models look good even out of the box without being super detailed.

One thing missing though, I'd love to see a shot from the front looking straight back that shows the whole scene from the forced perspective point of view. You kind of almost had one with close up of the walkers legs, but I'd love to see the whole thing from that same angle instead of a cropped version.

If your interested in figures that would be to scale you might consider some of the micromachine figures. They are pretty much 1/72. A bit big for the Shuttle, a bit small for the AT-AT, but placed somewhere in between would not look out of place.

It turned out amazing. Very nicely done! I like how it is a piece in the room for all to enjoy.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It means a lot to me to get a positive response for Endor from members of SMA as you are all serious and very talented model builders. Your opinions and feedback carry much weight for me as a novice.

I have a great deal to learn but I enjoy model building very much so learning the craft of good model building will be a challenging but satisfying and enjoyable process I am sure :)

@ blakeh1 I will try to get that forced perspective shot for you shortly. Just a note on the forced perspective aspect of the dio: I must credit stretch for this as it was at his original suggestion. I worked out the visual mechanisms (ie the thin/thick trees) but it was stretch who encouraged me to try the forced perspective.

Thank you again everyone :)

Latest posts

Back